UPS jumps 12% after revenue and earnings beat estimates amid an e-commerce surge
UPSposted a 27% year-over-year jump in revenue to hit $22.91 billion in Q1.
- The company earned $4.79 billion in net income and diluted EPS hit $5.47 per share.
- Total delivery volume also rose 14.3% in the quarter amid a surge of e-commerce deliveries.
Shares of UPS jumped as much as 12% on Tuesday after the company posted a strong first-quarter earnings report bolstered by a surge in e-commerce deliveries.
UPS raked in $22.91 billion in consolidated revenue in the first quarter, up 27% year-over-year, beating analyst estimates by $2.17 billion.
Net income also rose to $4.79 billion and diluted EPS jumped some 393% to $5.47 per share, beating analyst estimates by $3.79 per share.
Total delivery volume was up 14.3% during the quarter as e-commerce deliveries surged. UPS also said it repaid $1.5 billion in long-term debt in the first quarter of 2021, and its debt repayments for the year will total $2.5 billion.
However, GAAP results did include a net benefit of $2.4 billion in the quarter as a result of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ARPA), which made the company reclassify much of its pension expenditures.
UPS also said in its earnings release that the sales of its freight division is expected to go through in the second quarter. The company announced the $800 million, all-cash sale of its unprofitable freight business to the Canadian firm TFI International back in February.
"During the quarter, we continued to execute our strategy under the better, not bigger framework, which enabled us to win the best opportunities in the market and drove record financial results," Carol Tomé, UPS' chief executive officer said.
UPS said it wouldn't give guidance for revenue or diluted earnings for the rest of the year due to economic uncertainty and that it has no plans to repurchase shares.
The stock is up nearly 15% over the past six months.
FedEx shares also jumped as much as 6% on Tuesday after UPS' positive earnings results.
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- Rajinikanth issues public notice on infringement of rights, warns legal action
- Govt likely to float global tender for HPV vaccine in April; Merck, Serum Institute may participate
- Finance Ministry to stick to privatisation of already announced CPSEs next fiscal
- 70-plus Indian startups show exit door to 21K techies, more pink slips coming
- Steps taken in subsidence-hit Joshimath inadequate, declare Himalayas eco-sensitive zone, say experts