US stocks close at record highs after Joe Biden becomes 46th President of the United States
stocksclosed at record highs on Wednesday after Joe Biden was sworn in as the 46th President of the United States.
- Tech stocks led the market higher following a stronger than expected earnings report from Netflix.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
US stocks closed at record highs on Wednesday following the inauguration of Joe Biden as the 46th President of the United States.
The video-streaming company said it expected positive free-cash-flow generation going forward and would begin to stop relying on the debt
Here's where US indexes stood at the 4:00 p.m. ET close on Wednesday:
- S&P 500: 3,851.85, up 1.39%
- Dow Jones industrial average: 31,188.38, up 0.83% (257.86 points)
- Nasdaq composite: 13,457.25, up 1.97%
Read more: The head of active equity at Wells Fargo's $607 billion asset-management arm shares how she worked her way up from the call center 29 years ago - and pinpoints 3 trends transforming the investment landscape today
The enthusiasm for tech shares on Wednesday also helped fuel a 6% surge in Alphabet to record all-time-highs.
Morgan Stanley reported fourth-quarter earnings that beat analysts' expectations, driven by the firm's
Popular cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum pulled back on Wednesday after Janet Yellen, President-Joe Biden's nominee for treasury secretary, said it might make sense to "curtail" their use because they are mainly used for illicit activities in a transactional sense.
Alibaba surged 7% after its founder, Jack Ma, resurfaced in a videoconference. Ma had not been seen in public for months as Chinese regulators clamped down on the Ant Group initial public offering and Alibaba's selling practices.
Famed short-seller Jim Chanos said he transitioned his short exposure in Tesla to put options from shares, which will limit his downside potential.
Gold rose as much as 1.57%, to $1,869.10 per ounce.
- Minority shareholders must grin and bear it when promoters wash dirty laundry in public
- 10 Superfoods to soothe acid reflux and heartburn naturally
- Window to address climate change closing rapidly: IUCN seven Commissions ahead of COP28
- Salman Khan receives threat again; his security reviewed
- BCCI extends contracts of Rahul Dravid and his support staff