US stocks fall amid inflation fears but the Dow and S&P 500 end a volatile month flat
stocksfell Tuesday as rising oil and eurozone prices renewed inflation fears.
- But the Dow and the S&P 500 closed a volatile month of trading flat.
US stocks dropped Tuesday as investors grappled with signs that high inflation will stick around, though both the Dow and the S&P 500 closed out a volatile month of trading flat.
Rising oil and a record high in eurozone prices renewed inflation concerns, which sent the 10-year Treasury yield surging. But despite the wild swings in May, the
After stocks sold off sharply to start the year, investors are looking for signs of a bottom. Last week, stocks broke their longest weekly losing streak since 2001. But Morgan Stanley said investors shouldn't get comfortable as the bear market rally is likely to fade. Slowing growth is a headwind for stocks, and earnings estimates are too high, the analysts noted.
"Bottom line, our base case remains that last week's strength will prove to be another bear market rally in the end," Morgan Stanley analysts led by Mike Wilson wrote Tuesday.
Here's where US indexes stood as the market closed 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday:
- S&P 500: 4,132.15, down 0.63%
- Dow Jones Industrial Average: 32,990.12, down 0.67% (222.84 points)
- Nasdaq Composite: 12,081.39, down 0.41%
Meanwhile, insider stock purchases are at the highest level in more than two years, which some experts say is a signal of a market bottom. From May 1 to May 24, stock purchases by executives of companies within the S&P 500 hit the most volume since March 2020.
In China, stocks like Alibaba and others got a boost after Shanghai lifted COVID-19 restrictions and officials unveiled stimulus measures such as tax incentives and subsidies.
Bitcoin climbed 3.17% to $31.646.55.
- Toyota was right about hybrid cars all along
- The youngest son of Asia's richest man is getting married, and the pre-wedding event features Rihanna, a 9-page dress code, and live animals
- Check out some of the best and most daring looks at Ambani's pre-wedding bash — from Rihanna to Mark Zuckerberg
- Impact of AI on Customer Service
- Bengaluru cafe blast: Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah to chair meeting with top police officials today
- India retains full policy space for benefit of farmers, fishermen at WTO: Goyal
- Sensex, Nifty settle at new closing high levels in first part of special live trading session
- Passive Income Streams