US stocks falls as investors worry over prospects of a slowing economic recovery
- Major indexes fell Wednesday, stretching losses from the previous day's session.
Nasdaq Compositeslipped from record highs notched on Tuesday.
- A report from the Fed said the central bank was observing a slight slowdown in economic activity.
View all Offers
- 7% OFF
@home by Nilkamal Walton TV Unit (Wenge)₹ 9969₹ 21900Buy On
Amazon Brand - Solimo Comber High Back Mesh Office Chair (Grey & White)₹ 10089₹ 40000Buy On
Amazon Brand - Solimo Trance High Back Mesh Contemporary Office Chair (Black)₹ 6799₹ 13500Buy On
Wipro Furniture Arena Wood;Engineering Wood Office Desk; Study Desk(Beech Finish,Beech)₹ 12499₹ 18200Buy On
Wipro Adapt High Back Mesh Ergonomic Home-Office Chair with AWSM, Adjustable armrest, Cushion Lumbar & headrest, Durable Nylon Frame,5yr wrnty,BIFMA Certified,IDM Winner, Premium Fabric(Black)₹ 12499₹ 21500Buy On
The Federal Reserve in its so-called Beige Book report Wednesday afternoon said there's been a slight deceleration in economic activity from the moderate pace of recovery in early July through August. Stock investors have been showing some caution after last week's US August jobs report, with the 235,000 payroll additions falling fall far short of expectations.
Here's where US indexes stood at 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday:
- S&P 500: 4,514.07, down 0.13%
- Dow Jones Industrial Average: 35,031.07, down 0.2% (68.93 points)
- Nasdaq Composite: 15,286.64, down 0.57%
The Fed's report, which characterizes changes in economic conditions across its 12 districts, said the deceleration was largely attributable to a pullback in dining out, travel, and tourism, reflecting safety concerns due to the rise of the Delta variant of the coronavirus.
The Fed will hold a two-day meeting starting on September 21 and will release its summary of economic projections, or its dot-plot chart of interest-rate expectations.
Gold fell 0.2% to $1,789.73 per ounce. The yield on the US 10-year Treasury note fell to 1.33%.
Bitcoin fell by 1% to $46,326.77 after plunging Tuesday during El Salvador's rocky rollout of the cryptocurrency as legal tender.
- Ethereum may not have too long to get its high gas fee issue in check, according to JPMorgan
- Terra's LUNA token continues to hold its own even in a crypto bear market — here's why
- SEBI is hiring young graduate professionals for a monthly stipend of ₹60,000, last date is January 25
- HUL spent Rs 1,193 crore on advertising between October and December 2021
- Rohit Sharma, Rishabh Pant and Ravichandran Ashwin included in ICC Men's Test team of the Year 2021