Visa falls after Amazon says it will stop accepting cards issued by the company in the UK
Visastock slipped on Wednesday after Amazonannounced it will stop accepting cards issued by the company in the UK.
- The ban will take effect in January 2022. Amazon cited high transaction fees as its reason.
- "These costs should be going down over time with technological advancements, but instead they continue to stay high or even rise," Amazon said.
The online retail giant said the ban will take effect on January 19, 2022 and will only apply to Visa credit cards, not debit cards. Bloomberg was first to report the news.
"The cost of accepting card payments continues to be an obstacle for businesses striving to provide the best prices for customers," an Amazon spokesperson said in an email to Insider. "These costs should be going down over time with technological advancements, but instead they continue to stay high or even rise."
Visa stock tumbled 6.7% to $200.71, hitting the lowest level since February.
The company earlier this year hiked its merchant fees for certain credit card transactions, mostly online. This increase cut into revenue potential for merchants, especially since many are relying on e-commerce to stay afloat during the pandemic.
"We are very disappointed that Amazon is threatening to restrict consumer choice in the future," a Visa spokesperson said in an email to Insider. "When consumer choice is limited, nobody wins."
On Wednesday, Amazon made its announcement via email to its UK clients, acknowledging the disruption it will cause.
Non-Visa credit cards such as Mastercard, Amex, and Eurocard will continue to be accepted, according to the email.
- Meet Sini Shetty, a Bharatanatyam dancer & the winner of Femina Miss India World 2022
- Global businesses unwittingly endorse use of forced labour in China, compromising global sustainability goals
- This Asian currency performed much better than Rupee, and it's not Renminbi, Baht or Ringgit
- Plastic alternatives after the single-use ban
- Best air fryers in India 2022