Warren Buffett's right-hand man flags a 'speculative frenzy' in the stock market and bemoans the lack of bargains in a new shareholder letter
- Warren Buffett's longtime business partner called out a "speculative frenzy" in the stock market.
Charlie Mungertold Daily Journalstockholders that their shares were unlikely to rise much further.
Berkshire Hathawayvice chairman also bemoaned the lack of bargains in the market.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Warren Buffett's right-hand man flagged a "speculative frenzy" in the stock market and signaled that he doesn't expect share prices to climb much higher.
Charlie Munger, the vice chairman of Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway conglomerate, is also the chairman of Daily Journal Corporation, a newspaper publisher and software developer.
Daily Journal's stock price hit a record high of $404 on December 31. It had surged by roughly 50% in the previous four weeks.
"This price was reached amid much speculative frenzy and much forced buying by index funds," Munger said in his letter to Daily Journal shareholders this month.
The 97-year-old investor also touched on Daily Journal's stock portfolio, which counts
"Shareholders should not expect any significant appreciation above that level anytime soon," he said.
Moreover, Munger highlighted the difficulty of finding bargains in the market. Daily Journal's "trove of liquid wealth" - its cash and
Munger's letter echoed his comments in a virtual interview last month. The investor had also spoken of a "frenzy" in stocks and described technology companies such as Apple securing trillion-dollar market capitalizations as "the most dramatic thing that's almost ever happened in the entire world history of
Read more: A portfolio manager who has invested in SPACs since 2007 recounts their evolution from 'financial backwater' to 'feeding frenzy' - and shares how to identify attractive ones, including 3 on his radar
- New IPL teams: BCCI expecting anything between ₹7,000-₹10,000 crore with Adani, Goenka, Aurobindo in fray
- Chip shortage hits new brands in tough Indian laptop market
- Petrol and diesel prices hiked again by 35 paise for fifth consecutive day across the country
- India vs Pakistan at ICC T20 World Cup: The ‘Men in Blue’ have a definite advantage in this one
- Tamil drama 'Koozhangal' is India's official entry for Oscars 2022