'We are prepared to act quickly': Treasury Secretary Mnuchin says $1 trillion GOP coronavirus relief plan is set to be released Monday
Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchinsaid Sunday that the $1 trillion GOP coronavirusrelief plan is set to be released Monday.
- "We're prepared to act quickly. This is all about kids and jobs, this is our focus," Mnuchin said during an interview on "Fox News Sunday."
- Despite reports that said Republican infighting and conflicts between the White House and lawmakers had stalled new relief plans, Mnuchin said that Republicans "can move very quickly" with Democrats on the top issues, including unemployment benefits.
"We're prepared to act quickly. This is all about kids and jobs, this is our focus," Mnuchin said during an interview on "Fox News Sunday."
He also said that the Trump administration and Senate Republicans are "completely on the same page," and "do have an entire plan."
The GOP bill is the latest installment in sweeping aid to support the US
Mnuchin's optimistic characterization of weekend discussions came just two days after the Washington Post reported Republican infighting had stalled plans for new
Congress may look to do an entire deal, or go in parts to prioritize the most pressing issues, including the expiration this weekend of the extra $600 unemployment benefit and "frivolous lawsuits for schools and universities," Mnuchin said.
He added that Republicans want to make sure there's a "technical fix" for unemployment insurance so people aren't being paid more to stay at home than to go to work. He reiterated that Republicans are looking to have a federal unemployment benefit to cover 70% of lost wages.
"We can move very quickly with the Democrats on these issues," he said. "We've moved quickly before and I see no reason why we can't move quickly again."Watch the latest video at foxnews.com
- Apricots: A nutrient-packed fruit for health and culinary delights
- Startup funding hits a 5-year low in July-September quarter
- Mobile phone exports from India cross Rs 45,000 cr in April-Aug period, Apple leads
- Twinkle, Akshay pose with UK PM Rishi Sunak in London
- Troubles mount for Indian airlines, even in good times