World's richest man Elon Musk's wealth has taken a $100 billion hit in 2022, thanks to plummeting Tesla shares
- Elon Musk's wealth has fallen $100.5 billion so far in 2022, per Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
- Even so, Musk is still the world's richest person with a fortune of $169.8 billion.
Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla, SpaceX and now Twitter, has seen his wealth plunge almost $100 billion this year, the steepest drop ever reported on Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
The 51-year-old's net worth — which peaked at $340 billion in November last year — took a nosedive on Tuesday to its lowest point in 2022 at around $170 billion, after Tesla shares hit a two-year low on Monday, Bloomberg reported.
Musk holds an around 15% stake in Tesla and the decline in the electric vehicle maker's stock price on Monday shaved around $8.6 billion off Musk's wealth in just one day.
The tech mogul draws most of his wealth from the stocks and ownership of Tesla, SpaceX, and most recently Twitter, per Bloomberg. Tesla shares have plummeted around 58.03% year to date.
Even so, Musk remains the world's richest person, as his net worth beat that of runner-up Bernard Arnault — the chairman of the world's largest maker of luxury goods, LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton — by roughly $13 billion, per the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
According to the same index, Musk's net worth also eclipses that of Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, by roughly $54 billion and $57 billion, respectively.
Tesla's stock price has been under pressure this year amid a broad selloff in the tech markets due to concerns of an economic downturn and on the back of the Federal Reserve's aggressive interest rate hikes.
Investors are also worried about Tesla's business in China, amid the country's strict Covid-zero stance and whether Musk is able to focus on his role as Tesla CEO after acquiring Twitter for $44 billion.
Both Musk and Tesla did not immediately respond to Insider's requests for comment.
- A 53-year-old longevity researcher says his 'biological age' is a decade younger thanks to 4 daily habits — but the science behind them is mixed
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 leaks ahead of launch – specs, expected launch date and more
- New CEO of TCS Krithivasan gets a thumbs up from analysts who are betting on his experience & leadership skills
- Fugitive diamantaire Mehul Choksi removed from Interpol database of Red Notices
- US condemns attack on Indian Consulate in San Francisco; pledges to defend safety, security
- Paul Grant who played Ewok on Star Wars passes away at 56
- Sensex, Nifty50 edge up in morning trade led by gains in financial services, PSU bank stocks
- Always open for negotiation: Putin tells Xi Jinping on Ukraine peace plan