9 of the most challenging things about working remotely, according to people who do it
- Working remotely can seem like a dream come true for many employees sick of their morning commutes - but it can present its own set of challenges.
- Loneliness, time management problems, and digital miscommunication are just some of the problems you may face if you work from home or have another remote arrangement.
- Here are nine of the most challenging aspects of working remotely, according to remote workers.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
More and more people are working from home these days - or at least from a local coffee shop or coworking space. Between 2005 and 2017, there was a 159% increase in remote work, according to a recent report by Global Workplace Analytics.But not everyone talks about the challenges of doing so, from a lack of a structured routine to fewer social opportunities for social interaction and rapport-building with coworkers.Advertisement
"Many business leaders think that 'going remote' is as simple as sending a worker away from the office, equipped with a laptop and a to-do list," Laurel Farrer, founder of the Remote Work Association and CEO of Distribute Consulting, told Business Insider. "Unfortunately, it's not that simple. In fact, when the correct policies and procedures are not created to support off-site employees, terrible consequences are likely to occur."
We asked people who work remotely to share the most challenging aspects of their work arrangements. Here's what they had to say.
Problems with technology may not get resolved as quickly as they would in the office, and can make it difficult to work remotely.
It's easy to get distracted when you're working from home, and you may not be as productive as you'd be in a traditional work setting.Advertisement
And the distractions get even worse if you're not good at following a strict schedule.
With no coworkers in your living room, socializing with your peers can be a challenge and make remote work pretty lonely.Advertisement
A lack of interaction with coworkers can also make team-building difficult.
Working remotely can mean inconsistent pay.Advertisement
Communication with coworkers or clients can easily be misconstrued.
Feeling that other people don't really think you are working can be frustrating.Advertisement
And it may be hard to find a healthy work-life balance.
- 14 days complete lockdown in Ganjam, Khorda, Cuttack and Jajpur district in Odisha state from July 17
- video conferencing platform Zoom app fixed a security issue today
- CBSE and IBM's Artificial Intelligence curriculum set to be introduced in 200 schools in India
- Google, Facebook investing in Jio shows both see value, opportunities to co-exist: Report
- Easy ways to check your bank account balance on your phone