Sudden dust storms in northern India have killed over 120 people
- Over 125 dead and 160 injured.
Dust stormengulfs the northern states of UP, PunjabRajasthan, Haryana and Delhi.
- Most deaths due to lightning strikes and collapsing houses.
Officials said that they had been taken aback by the ferocity of the storms and the Indian Meteorological department expects more storms to hit before the weekend. The latest reports can be viewed here.
Impact on Humans
- High speed winds and lightning wreaked havoc in many villages. The destruction brought down walls, claimed many lives and left numerous injured.
- A spokesperson for the Uttar Pradesh relief commissioner's office told AFP that the death toll was the highest from such storms in the last twenty years.
- The storm hit at night in many areas where houses built with mud collapsed and residents who were asleep at the time were trapped and killed.
- Damage was caused in some areas by flying debris as speeds in some areas reached 100 miles per hour.
Disturbing Visuals of a deadly dust storm and lightning that killed around 35 people in #Rajasthan , with more than 200 injured.— Tabeenah Anjum (@TabeenahAnjum) May 3, 2018
Out of the worst affected is Bharatpur - where the rains claimed 19 lives .
Around 150 livestock also perished in the storm. @DeccanHerald #Rains pic.twitter.com/T6THv5pLbq
- According to a report, 200 to 300 electric poles fell due to the raging winds of the storm.
- Agra was the worst hit place in
India’s most populous state, Uttar Pradesh. 43 died and 51 were injured.
- Alwar, Rajasthan city reported 36 deaths whereas 19 were killed in Bharatpur district of Rajasthan.
- The dust storm enveloped Delhi on Wednesday evening. This further degraded the air quality of the India’s capital city with PM2.5 measured at 152 and PM10 at 106, which is four times the safe limit. This is the second dust storm to hit Delhi in just a few weeks, a report said.
- A huge number of birds were found dead in Fatehabad after dust storms hit the area, ANI UP tweeted.
- I took a new job in a remote location after my divorce. There aren't many people to date, but I'm happy staying single.
- Elon Musk hits out at viral videos of DINK couples, saying there's an 'awful morality' to those who choose not to have children
- Married couples often share high blood pressure, study shows
- 8 Irresistible seasonal snacks to warm your winter days
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma says 'Wed in India' is a good idea for its food options
- NCLAT stays CCI penalty on NTPC in Ratnagiri Gas & Power shares issue
- A Japanese Start-Up Is Testing a Rocket Powered Entirely By Rocket Fuel Created From Cow Dung!
- Amazon sues scammers for stealing millions of dollars via fake returns