Supreme Court Says California Has To Release 10,000 Inmates
The Supreme Court rejected Gov. Jerry Brown's request to delay the release of 10,000 inmates in a 6-3 decision Friday, the Associated Press reports.
Conservative Justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas, and Antonin Scalia would have granted Brown's request. The California governor asked for the delay to protect public safety.A three-judge panel ordered Brown to release the inmates by the end of the year because of a huge overcrowding problem in the California prison system. The decision was a result of two separate class actions filed by mentally and physically ill inmates, the Sacramento Bee reported.
"We are compelled to enforce the Federal Constitution and to enforce the constitutional rights of all persons, including prisoners," the three-judge panel wrote in June.
- Check out the top 10 batsmen with the highest strike rate in all IPL matches
- Petrol pumps closed in Rajasthan as dealers demand rollback of VAT on fuel
- Google blocks terms associated with hate speech from being used as ad keywords on YouTube
- Mountains, rivers, trout and toddy — Manali offers you all these and more
- E-commerce and digitisation to accelerate India's auto sector growth, says report