Survivor of Florida bridge collapse recounts the horrifying moment his friend disappeared into the rubble
Joe Raedle / Getty Images
Joe Raedle / Getty Images
- On Thursday, a pedestrian bridge in Miami collapsed, killing six people and trapping eight cars beneath it.
- A survivor of the collapse described the collapse and its aftermath in an interview with Today.
- The cause of the collapse hasn't been determined.
On Thursday, a pedestrian bridge in Miami collapsed, killing six people and trapping eight cars beneath it.
View all Offers
- 18% OFF
Redmi 9A (Nature Green, 2GB RAM, 32GB Storage) | 2GHz Octa-core Helio G25 Processor | 5000 mAh Battery₹ 6999₹ 8499Buy On
- 19% OFF
Redmi Note 10 (Aqua Green, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) -Amoled Dot Display | 48MP Sony Sensor IMX582 | Snapdragon 678 Processor₹ 12999₹ 15999Buy On
OnePlus Nord 2 5G (Gray Sierra, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage) I Extra upto Rs.1000 off on Exchange₹ 29999Buy On
OnePlus Nord 2 5G (Blue Haze, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage) I Extra upto Rs.1000 off on Exchange₹ 29999Buy On
- 17% OFF
Redmi 9A (Midnight Black 2GB RAM 32GB Storage) | 2GHz Octa-core Helio G25 Processor | 5000 mAh Battery₹ 6999₹ 8400Buy On
"We were parked at a red light, and I started to hear the bridge creak. So I looked up and I saw the bridge falling on top of us, and it fell on the roof of the car and caved in. And it kind of caved in on my neck and squished me down. But I didn't really know what was going on at all, and I screamed her name over and over again, but I didn't hear anything."Humble's mother, Lourdes, recalled Richard's call to her after he escaped the car.
"All he said is, 'I have a lot of blood around me. It's not mine, mom, I have a lot of blood,'" she told Today.
The bridge was supposed to make pedestrians saferThe bridge was supposed to connect Florida International University's campus to Sweetwater, a city where many students live, when it opened in 2019. Its supports and bridge had been constructed separately over the course of several months and installed in a few hours on Saturday.The innovative construction method was supposed to be safer than traditional ones for workers and pedestrians, and the bridge was designed with student safety in mind, as it would extend over a seven-lane road where a student was killed by a motorist in August.
Recovery efforts began Thursday and continued on Friday, though Miami-Dade authorities don't expect to find additional survivors.
"Our primary focus is to remove all of the cars and all of the victims in a dignified manner and not compromise the investigation in the process," Miami-Dade County Police Chief Juan Perez said during a press briefing on Friday.The cause of the bridge's collapse hasn't been determined yet, but the National Transportation Safety Board will conduct an investigation for around a week to figure out why the bridge collapsed and what could have been done to prevent it.
- With a $2 million funding from Sachin Tendulkar, Rajan Navani of digital entertainment and tech company JetSynthesys shares the roadmap ahead
- Here is a list of bank holidays in August 2021
- Best all-in-one printers in India in 2021
- Tokyo Olympics: Lovlina Borgohain assures a boxing medal for India by entering semifinals
- Clear(Tax) has planned major acquisitions and hiring for this year, in talks with investors to raise funds