19 open source software-related startups that will blow up in 2019, according to VCs
- We asked several venture capital investors to tell us which commercial open source startups will boom in 2019.
- These startups make some of their software available as open source, which means that anyone can use, download or modify the code for free.
- Open source software is quickly becoming popular among developers and companies, so we asked these investors to name the startups they're excited about, from seed startups to ones that may make an exit soon.
View all Offers
- 72% OFF
Savya home® Multi-Purpose New Laptop Table/Bed Table/Wooden Foldable Bed Table/LAPDESK/Study Table/Portable Table (Black Silver)₹ 699₹ 2500Buy On
- 33% OFF
Spacewood Engineered Wood Winner Study Table (Natural Wenge Finish)₹ 7999₹ 11090Buy On
- 33% OFF
Duroflex LiveIn - Pressure Relieving, Memory Foam, Roll Pack, 6 Inch Double Size Medium Firm Mattress with Superior Comfort and Anti Microbial Fabric (75 X 48 X 6 Inches)₹ 9059₹ 13499Buy On
Amazon Brand - Solimo Alen 6 Seater Fabric LHS L Shape Sofa Set (Brown)₹ 29999₹ 42000Buy On
Amazon Brand - Solimo Cartina Fabric 5 seater L shape sofa Set (Grey)₹ 26999₹ 30000Buy On
Last year, open source-centric software companies were at the center of some major deals: Salesforce acquired Mulesoft, Microsoft acquired GitHub, VMware acquired Heptio, IBM announced it would acquire Red Hat, Cloudera and Hortonworks merged, and Elastic went public.
These companies often make the core of their software available as open source, which means that people can download and use the code however they want - making money by offering additional features or better technical support to business users.
While many in Silicon Valley were skeptical of this business model for a long time, investors are now betting that the open source business model will help these kinds of companies spread like wildfire and find an audience. Last year's mega-deals have shone a light on just how pervasive open source can be in the business.
Now, as we wait for the $34 billion Red Hat/IBM deal to close, we asked venture venture capital investors to name the open source software startups they believe are going to boom in 2019. Those investors named startups, both within and outside their portfolios, that they were particularly excited about for the rest of 2019.
What follows is a compelling list of commercial open source software startups set for success in 2019. They range from fledgling companies with hardly any funding, to well-established companies that could very well be heading for a huge exit.
The funding information is according to official announcements, as well as Crunchbase and Pitchbook, keepers of such records.
- Internship at Bureau of Police Research & Development: Checkout all the details including last date, eligibility and stipend
- Last day to subscribe to AGS Transact IPO, GMP drops to ₹10
- Ethereum may not have too long to get its high gas fee issue in check, according to JPMorgan
- Terra's LUNA token continues to hold its own even in a crypto bear market — here's why
- SEBI is hiring young graduate professionals for a monthly stipend of ₹60,000, last date is January 25