5 reasons I still use a big, heavy desktop that sits in one room while everyone else is going mobile
Antonio Villas-Boas/Business Insider
It's 2018, and I still use a desktop.In fact, I actively prefer using a desktop over a laptop.
Sure, powerful laptops out there offer the best of both worlds for those who need power and portability. Just hook up a laptop to a monitor if you need a bigger screen and you're set. Thing is, though, powerful laptops don't really offer the best of both worlds. They're often relatively heavy and large, and while they may be powerful, they're not always as powerful as a desktop with the "same" specs.Check out why I use a desktop in this day and age:
You get better performance, even if they have the "same" parts.
Even when laptops and desktops are evenly matched in performance, desktops tend to be significantly less expensive.
For most laptops, you're stuck with their specs until it's time to upgrade to a new model. Desktops can be upgraded pretty easily.
You can buy a great secondary laptop or tablet for times when you need to be mobile with the money you'd be saving by buying a desktop.
Desktops are usually associated with being big, bulky, and heavy, but some desktops aren't big at all, or they come with built-in screens.
- UP's Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath announces free funerals for deceased Covid patients
- You no longer need a Covid+ve report to get admitted to a hospital: Union Health Ministry
- Supreme Court sets up a 12-member National Task Force to facilitate public health response to the pandemic
- Adobe Summit 2021: Empowering a digital-first economy through personalisation
- Crime branch to probe recovery of O2 concentrators from Delhi eateries, including Khan Market's famous Khan Chacha and Town Hall