5 reasons I still use a big, heavy desktop that sits in one room while everyone else is going mobile
Antonio Villas-Boas/Business Insider
It's 2018, and I still use a desktop.
In fact, I actively prefer using a desktop over a laptop.
It sounds ridiculous, but desktops make more sense than a laptop for a lot of people. Usually, those people value performance over portability, or they'd rather not pay for a laptop's comparatively high price tag.
Sure, powerful laptops out there offer the best of both worlds for those who need power and portability. Just hook up a laptop to a monitor if you need a bigger screen and you're set. Thing is, though, powerful laptops don't really offer the best of both worlds. They're often relatively heavy and large, and while they may be powerful, they're not always as powerful as a desktop with the "same" specs.
Check out why I use a desktop in this day and age:
You get better performance, even if they have the "same" parts.
Even when laptops and desktops are evenly matched in performance, desktops tend to be significantly less expensive.
For most laptops, you're stuck with their specs until it's time to upgrade to a new model. Desktops can be upgraded pretty easily.
You can buy a great secondary laptop or tablet for times when you need to be mobile with the money you'd be saving by buying a desktop.
Desktops are usually associated with being big, bulky, and heavy, but some desktops aren't big at all, or they come with built-in screens.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Best flagship phones in India in 2023
- Small Size Bluetooth speakers in India
- IIT Madras tops Indian institute ranking fifth year in a row – here are the top 10
- Best tablets under ₹5000 in India
- Speedy, small loan market sees Muthoot Microfin make an entry