A Flaw In Slack, The Group Messaging App That's Going Viral In Silicon Valley, Exposes The Names Of Chat Rooms To Anybody
Blogger Tanay Sai on Wednesday discovered a major issue with Slack, the "viral" team communication platform that's taken Silicon Valley by storm, raising $60 million in funding in the process.
When using the Slack client for Mac, Sai discovered that you can visit Slack.com, enter a fake email address with any real company domain (like Apple.com, Google.com, etc.), and you can see all of the internal Slack teams associated with that company.
You can't enter the Slack rooms, but you can see the names of the rooms. As Sam Biddle at Valleywag points out:
Sure, you can't actually join the teams, or see what channels exist within them, or read a single letter that's been exchanged. But I now know there's a Slack team at Google called "Tribe Wearables"-does that mean they acquired this company? Even if this isn't sensitive information, it's still information-and that's not what people are paying Slack to do.
In some cases, performing this maneuver lets you see what these companies are working on. Check it out:
And The New York Times:
And The Wall Street Journal:
And last but certainly not least, Slack:
You can try this with basically any company you can think of - Slack is particularly hot among Silicon Valley startups.
We've reached out to Slack for comment, and the company said it would get back to us shortly.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Google is rolling out a new viewer mode in Meet: Here's how to use it
- India vs Australia WTC Final – Squads, head-to-head, where to watch and more
- May auto sales rise 10% but still below pre-Covid level with challenges in store
- Linda Yaccarino to take over as new Twitter CEO on Monday, hires key aide
- Sensex, Nifty50 rise in morning trade driven by auto and banking stocks