Android apps that steal banking details were downloaded 300,000 times in just 4 months
- A total of 12 apps with Android banking trojans were discovered in the Google Play Store.
- These apps are capable of stealing banking information and wiping out the victim’s bank account.
- The apps were distributed in a span of four months and downloaded 300,000 times.
These apps were posing as QR code scanners, PDF scanners, and even cryptocurrency wallets, according to researchers at ThreatFabric. The apps belonged to four different
So how did the apps bypass Google’s security check? These apps were first distributed as a legitimate app with no malware and worked as they were advertised which made users think there’s nothing wrong here. The apps also had positive reviews in the Google Play Store which would make them look more legitimate. Users were then asked to install software updates from third-party sources for additional features.
Through these updates, a very advanced
Among the kind of apps that these malware were injected into, the most popular were scanning apps, a crypto tracking app and workout apps. These apps with four large Android malware families were spread in a span of only four months, and were downloaded 300,000 times.
ThreatFabric also highlighted how this is actually a small malicious footprint, and this is due to the new Google Play restrictions that puts limitations on app permissions such as Accessibility Service. This was one of the commonly used methods of installing malware on phones but hackers are now resorting to download updates after the app is installed.
Google Play’s Best of 2021 India Awards: BGMI, Garena Free Fire MAX, Bitclass and Clubhouse top the ranks this year
Valorant Mobile: Gameplay, release date and what to expect
Popular on BI
- DBS Bank’s custom financing leads the way for companies trying to reach net-zero goals
- Republic Day 2022 – Here is a list of wishes and messages you can send to your fellow citizens
- The world's 5 richest tech tycoons — including Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and Bill Gates — have already lost about $85 billion this year amid a brutal market sell-off
- MakeMyTrip has a new CEO as founder Deep Kalra moves into chief mentor role
- Adani Wilmar IPO to open tomorrow; GMP at ₹50 per share
- Here’s how much buying and owning an electric scooter costs in India versus a petrol scooter
- Seven eminent persons from Tamil Nadu have been conferred with Padma Shri award for 2022
- These are some new initiatives planned for the Republic Day celebrations