Apple removed 1,474 apps on govt takedown requests in 2022, 14 from India
According to the company's '2022 App Store Transparency Report', the Pakistan government requested to take down 10 apps while Russia asked to remove seven apps for violating various laws of the land.
There were a total 18,412 appeals of app removals from various agencies worldwide (again led by China at 5,484), including 709 from India. Apple restored 24 apps in India after appeals of app removals last year.
As of 2022, Apple had 1,783,232 apps in total on the App Store, according to the report.
The tech giant reviewed 6,101,913 app submissions and rejected 1,679,694 last year for violating App Store policies.
App submissions approved after rejection were 253,466 and total apps finally removed from the App Store were 186,195 in 2022.
It was the first report published as part of the company's $100 million settlement with App Store developers in 2021.
Category-wise, games (38,883), utilities (20,045) and business (16,997) topped the list of removed apps.
Total number of registered Apple developers on the App Store was 36,974,015 while Apple terminated 428,487 developer accounts for violating its policies in 2022.
"Since it launched in 2008, the App Store has proven to be a safe and trusted place to discover and
AdvertisementEarlier this week, Apple announced that its App Store prevented over $2.09 billion in potentially fraudulent transactions in 2022, blocking nearly 3.9 million stolen credit cards from being used to make purchases, and banned 7,14,000 accounts from transacting again.
Zomato net loss narrows to ₹188 crore in Q4, revenue rises 70% YoY
IndiGo reports a net profit of ₹919 crore in Q4, revenue soars 76% YoY
SBI Q4 results: India’s largest lender posts record quarterly net profit of ₹16,695 crore, up 83% YoY
Popular on BI
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Some people are apparently ditching their iPhones for a foldable Razr model. Yes, the kind that was popular 20 years ago.
- Best flagship phones in India in 2023
- Small Size Bluetooth speakers in India
- IIT Madras tops Indian institute ranking fifth year in a row – here are the top 10
- Best tablets under ₹5000 in India
- Speedy, small loan market sees Muthoot Microfin make an entry