BeReal is a photo-sharing app that wants you to be who you are as it only allows posting unfiltered photos
- BeReal— photo-sharing app where no editing is allowed.
BeReallet users take one shot a day using the smartphone’s front and rear camera.
- It is available for free globally (iOS & Android).
AdvertisementA french photo-sharing app ‘BeReal’ has started catching the attention of many users for its unique concept. The social media app developed by Alexis Barreyat, as the name suggests, focuses on keeping things real by restricting filters and editing tools on the platform.
Alexis, the founder, released the app back in 2020 on iOS and Play Store. He is a former GoPro employee who wants to bring authenticity to social media and make content unfiltered and real. The posts can come in the form of photos including snapshots taken from the phone.
The app is offering little but it is standing apart with its features and functionality. It has seen a surge of interest in recent days. Since January, BeReal has seen a growth of 315% in downloads. According to SensorTower, BeReal has been one of the most downloaded free social networking apps for iPhone.
BeReal has recently raised $30 million in funding led by Andreesen Horowitz — a venture capital firm. The French company is actively promoting BeReal to colleges across the United States via a campus ambassador program. We can assume it is the key marketing strategy of BeReal.
How does BeReal work?
Once a day, BeReal sends you a notification telling you to post your BeReal for the day. Users can take a photo of whatever they’re doing and they only get 2 minutes to prepare. When a user is ready to take the photo, BeReal is going to use the front and back cameras at the same time. No retouching, no filters and no retakes are allowed. Remember, every time you view someone else’s photo you have to post your own. Each image can be shared on a global feed or with your friends.
It’s an interesting concept, but it remains to be seen how long does the interest last as we’ve seen many new concepts come and go after being hyped. The app is also available in India so you can give it a try right away.
Electric scooter fire accident claims another man's life, leaves his wife and two daughters with severe burns
Sensex down by 1.1%, rising inflation an upcoming concern
Popular on BI
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- WhatsApp introduces the “Message Yourself” feature, working on voice status updates and more
- DeSantis says Congress should act if Apple follows through on Elon Musk claims and bans Twitter from App Store
- Scientists revive 48,500-year-old zombie virus buried under a frozen lake in Russia
- India Inc.’s rockstars of Q2 and things that investors should look out for, according to analysts
- Best refrigerator under ₹15000
- Asus ROG Phone 6 review: A bit more than just gaming
- Fintech unicorn CRED to acquire SaaS startup CreditVidya