YouTube, Gmail, Google Meet, Google Docs and Play Store restored for some users as others still face outage
Screenshot of YouTube website/BI India
- Gmail, YouTube and Google Docs crashed for users across the world was down for nearly an hour on December 14.
- Gmail and Google Docs were not loading on web browsers and the mobile apps were also not refreshing.
- However, YouTube can be accessed if users login using the incognito mode on Chrome.
In fact, the only Google service that still seems to be up and running is Google Search.
Services are starting to roll back to many while some are still reporting issues. The outage, which did not last as long as many other incidents seen over the past year, did, however, strike a chord at the heart of users working from home.
But considering the expanse of the Google empire, it did have far-reaching effects. For those accessing their smart devices using Android were no exception with some reporting being unable to connect their Nest speakers or TV's using Google Home.
The outage from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm Indian Standard Time (IST) left many a professional between an incomplete email, an unfinished Google Docs or a meeting that suddenly got cut off.
For those still facing issues, YouTube is loading in incognito mode. This means you won't be logged into your account and you'll have to manually search for your subscriptions, but you will still have access. The hack only works when using the Chrome web browser.
For other services, like Gmail and GMeets that require you to login, there is no work around as of now. Downdectector confirms the outage on its own database starting at around 5:00pm.
Business Insider India has reached out for a comment on the development but Google is yet to respond to what's gone wrong, but it is aware of the outage. "
We are aware that many of you are having issues accessing YouTube right now – our team is aware and looking into it… https://t.co/iezBxijWKR— TeamYouTube (@TeamYouTube) 1607947759000
Meet Cozy Bear — the Russian cyber espionage group allegedly behind US government data breach
INTERVIEW: Home recipes that are set for a $73 million IPO— Mrs Bector’s Food is no cookie cutter
From Michigan to Motihari — the latest COVID-19 vaccine updates give reasons for both jubilation and anxiety
- GST exemption on domestic supplies, commercial imports of COVID drugs to make them costlier, says Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman
- Uttar Pradesh government extends statewide lockdown till May 17
- Marriage functions to be held at home or court with maximum gathering of 20 people, says Delhi DDMA
- PM Modi speaks to Chief Minsters of Punjab, Karnataka, Bihar and Uttarakhand regarding COVID-19 situation in their respective states
- If you are feeling anxious and overwhelmed by the pandemic and the news around it, here are a few ways to calm yourself down