Google Maps lets you explore the cosmos like Star Trek — complete with a warp drive ‘whoosh’
Google Mapslets you explore space without having to step out of the house.
- It has added a new animation to their interplanetary exploration tool.
- The new animation feels a lot like the warp drive on
Star Trekor the starting sequence of Doctor Who.
A Reddit user spotted the animation change on Monday, that makes it feel like you’re actually travelling through space rather than just zooming in and zooming out of the solar system.
AdvertisementAside from planets, users can also roam about the International Space Station (ISS), the dwarf planet Ceres, Jupiter’s moons and, of course, the Moon.
The maps are a result of half a million pictures collected by Cassini-Huygens mission during its 20-year lifespan. Even though the terrain isn’t as detailed as Earth, you can still spot the craters on Mercury and the mountain ranges on Venus.
The only catch is that Google Maps’
Here’s how to explore space with Google Maps:
- Open Google Maps in your Chrome browser. It will also work on non-Chrome browsers — just not as well.
- At In the left-bottom corner of the screen, there should be a square box which reads ‘Maps’. Click on it to switch over to ‘Satellite’ view.
- On the right-hand side, there should be a little toggle that looks like Earth. Click on the ‘Globe View’ button.
- Zoom out all the way, as far as you can go.
- Once you’ve zoomed out to the maximum, a menu will show up will all your possible destinations within the solar system.
- Click on any of the options and start your journey through space.
NASA satellite captures a picture of India’s largest salt producer from space
Space enthusiast helps NASA locate Vikram lander's crash site on the moon
The trash in outer space makes way for a new kind of map
Popular on BI
- Sports NFT platforms have racked up nearly $1 billion in funding this week alone, despite market slump
- COVID-19 virus likely to get weaker and become a common cold, says Oxford-AstraZeneca vax creator
- Best teether for growing baby in India
- TiE Delhi-NCR kickstarts the 10th Edition of India Internet Day themed Digital India: Escape Velocity
- Volkswagen Taigun: All you need to know about price, features and rivals