TikTok emerges as one of the most downloaded apps on Apple this year
Business Insider India
- TikTok has jumped 12 places since last year in Apple’s list of most downloaded apps in the App Store this year.
- The short video sharing app currently has over one billion monthly active users.
- YouTube continues to be the
most downloaded appin the App Store for the second year in a row.
AdvertisementApple just unveiled its ‘end-of-year’ list of the most downloaded apps in the Apple App Store and it hasn’t changed much since last year — except that TikTok has made its way into the top five.
As YouTube continues to reign as the most downloaded app, TikTok has jumped 12 places to come in fourth this year. The short video sharing app’s popularity has been increasing over the past year with over a billion active monthly users.
TikTok is one of the few to break Facebook’s monopoly over social media apps and seems to be catching up. It’s even looking into ways to rebrand itself in the US so that it will no longer be seen as a ‘Chinese’ app.
The Facebook-owned photo-sharing app, Instagram, might have a reason to be worried even though it continues to come in second as the most downloaded app in Apple’s App Store. Earlier this year, the app introduced ‘Lyrics on Instagram’ attempting to be as musical as TikTok.
Another Instagram tool that mimics TikTok, Reels, is reportedly being tested in Brazil. It lets users make 15-second video clips set to music that can be shared as ‘Stories’.
Unlike Lasso, where Facebook has to start from scratch, Reels will allow Instagram to cash-in on its existing userbase.
TikTok is reportedly considering a rebrand in the US to shed its Chinese roots
TikTok suspended a teen who posted a viral takedown of China disguised as a makeup tutorial, but claims it's because she posted videos of Osama bin Laden
Meet Zhang Yiming, the secretive, 35-year-old Chinese billionaire behind TikTok who made over $12 billion in 2018
Popular on BI
- Google Pixel 8, Pixel 8 Pro and Pixel Watch 2 launched with improved AI features
- Moto G54 5G review – affordable option with a large battery
- Reliance Brands forges partnership with ‘urban cool’ fashion brand Superdry
- ED arrests AAP MP Sanjay Singh in Delhi excise policy case
- Top 10 unique benefits of adding Flax Seeds to your diet