WhatsApp chat transfer between iOS and Android announced
WhatsApp chattransfers between iOS and Android will be available soon.
- For now, users will be able to transfer their chats from iPhones to Samsung devices.
- Users have been requesting this feature for years and had to rely on paid third-party tools, until now.
Transferring WhatsApp chats between iOS and Android has been one of the most requested features for several years now. The lack of an option to do this in WhatsApp has forced users to pay for third-party solutions, something that not all users would be comfortable with, or willing to pay for.
“We're excited for the first time to make it easy for people to securely transfer their WhatsApp history from one operating system to another. This has been one of our most requested features from users for years and we worked together with operating systems and device manufacturers to solve it,” the company said in a statement.
Initially, WhatsApp will allow iPhone users to migrate their chats to Samsung devices. Given that this was announced at the Samsung Unpacked event, it is likely that WhatsApp and Samsung have partnered for a time-limited exclusivity.
Soon, all WhatsApp users will be able to transfer their chats from iOS to Android and vice versa.
“WhatsApp will be introducing the ability to move your entire WhatsApp chat history — including voice notes, photos, and conversations — in a seamless and secure way if you choose to switch mobile operating systems,” the company added.
Until now, WhatsApp chat transfers were possible through third-party tools like dr.fone, which costs $22 (approx. ₹1,600). Given that it is a third-party tool, it could also spark concerns about security and privacy.
Alternatively, users can email their entire chat history to themselves, but this cannot be restored on their new device, making it less useful than native chat transfer options.
With WhatsApp finally filling this gap, you will no longer have to postpone your switch from iOS to Android or vice versa if you think your chat history is important enough to hold on to.
Samsung unveils new foldable phones, Galaxy Watch 4 series and Galaxy Buds 2 wireless earbuds
How to transfer WhatsApp messages from Android to iPhone
The head of Facebook-owned WhatsApp slammed Apple's plan to scan iPhones for child abuse images as a 'setback for people's privacy all over the world'
Popular on BI
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- I'm a software engineer who struggled with procrastination until I tried 'monk mode' — here's how it saves me up to 3 hours a day
- You will soon lose your legacy blue tick on Twitter – here’s everything you need to know
- Parineeta director Pradeep Sarkar passes away at 67
- Shops of toddy, poor man's scotch, to undergo a major facelift in Kerala
- Madhav Sheth accepts global role at realme, new India head yet to be announced
- Paramount to remake Hitchcock's 'Vertigo,' Robert Downey Jr. eyes lead role