WhatsApp says your privacy won't be affected if you don't use these two optional features
- WhatsApp has issued a clarification that your privacy won't be affected if you do not use two optional features.
- The app recently announced that it is updating its terms of services and privacy policies from February 8.
- WhatsApp faced a lot of backlash after this, prompting calls from people to use WhatsApp alternatives such as Signal and Telegram.
WhatsApp and Facebook cannot see your private messages
AdvertisementWhatsApp has said that it offers end-to-end encryption for personal messages to all users and neither WhatsApp nor Facebook can read your messages or hear your calls with your friends and family.
It has further added that it does not keep logs of user’s messages and calls as it considers it would be ‘a privacy and security risk’.
WhatsApp does not share your contacts
WhatsApp has also added that it does not share your contacts with other apps from Facebook. The contacts are used to allow you to quickly message them from the app.
What will WhatsApp share with Facebook?
WhatsApp has said that it will share data related to how you interact with businesses on its app. The company also added that it will soon allow businesses to use Facebook’s hosting services to manage their communication with users. WhatsApp has said that it will add a label to businesses who use Facebook’s hosting services.
AdvertisementWhatsApp Business accounts will also be able to use Facebook’s Shops platform to display their products on WhatsApp. If you shop from businesses that are using the Shops platform, your shopping activity data will be shared with Facebook and it will be used to show ads on Facebook and Instagram
Additionally, Facebook will soon allow you to message businesses using WhatsApp using a button on its platform. When you message a business on WhatsApp, Facebook will be able to use this to data to show your similar ads on its platform.
What does this mean?
AdvertisementWhile Facebook is not going to view your personal chats with friends and family, it will use your chats with businesses to show your more ads on Facebook, Instagram and other platforms from the company.
This means that while your personal data is still safe, your messages with businesses will soon be shared with Facebook.
How to move WhatsApp group to Signal app
Chinese hackers targeting Indian WhatsApp users with promise of 'part-time' jobs
Signal grabs the top spot beating WhatsApp in free apps category
Popular on BI
- This Indian couple plans to get married in a Hogwarts-themed metaverse to beat the pandemic's restrictions
- Here are some of Netaji’s inspirational quotes as India remembers its valiant fighter
- Lifecycle of cryptocurrencies – From creation to trade and destruction
- Reliance Industries net profit more than triples in the last eight quarters to $2.8 billion
- Reliance Retail earns $1.3 billion more than its best-ever quarter