CHART OF THE DAY: Why People Watch Video On Their Smartphones
Why are people watching video on their phones?
They do so for many of the same reasons they play games or listen to music: to relieve boredom or fill time.
And, much as many of us already do with music, smartphone owners use their devices to watch videos they had planned to watch beforehand.
According to the survey from the IAB and On Device Research, some video views are spontaneous, triggered when smartphone users come across video on topics, stars or brands that they already know they like.
There is a common denominator to smartphone video — most sessions are short. Only 40 percent of smartphone video sessions globally are over ten minutes in length, according to Ooyala, a global digital video streaming platform.
"The vast majority of people are still snacking on video with their smartphones," Ooyala CEO Bismarck Lepe told us. The company forecasts video consumption on smartphones will surge by a factor of 10 in the next five years.
- Best weighing machine under ₹500
- Dharmaj Crop Guard IPO subscribed 1.79 times on day 1
- As Sensex, Nifty50 hit record highs, this is what experts are advising investors
- FM concludes week-long consultation meetings for Budget 2023-24
- WhatsApp data of 500 million users might be on sale says Mashable India