Does Facebook notify you of story screenshots? Here's what you need to know
- Facebook does not notify you if someone
- While a Facebook story is not a permanent part of your profile or feed, anyone can take a screenshot and keep it forever.
- Other prominent social media platforms have similar approaches to screenshots of your story.
Facebook, like most other popular social media services, lets you create short-lived posts called Stories, often a mashup of text, backgrounds, and photos or video. Facebook's intent is to allow you to create posts about moments in time that you don't necessarily want to linger on your profile permanently.
Because they're temporary, you or others who view your story may want to capture part or all of it before it's gone forever. To do that, they'll likely take screenshots. But will Facebook notify you when someone has taken a screenshot of your story?
Facebook does not notify you about story screenshots
While the story expires and disappears after 24 hours, anyone can take a screenshot on their phone or computer, essentially making a record of it they can keep forever. So be aware that you are not notified if someone captures a screenshot of your story.
This is not surprising. Not only is it technically challenging for Facebook to know if a screenshot is being taken in many situations - such as when Facebook is being run in a browser - it's also similar to the way most other social media platforms deal with stories.
Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn don't notify users if their stories have been screenshotted, for example. (Though Instagram does notify users about screenshots under certain conditions. Only Snapchat notifies an account owner if a story is captured with a screenshot.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
- Family Man Manoj Bajpayee bats for movie heroes who like ‘the common man’
- Gandhar Oil IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- White collar roles more at threat from AI
- Market cap of BSE-listed firms hits record high of Rs 331 lakh crore; just shy of entering $4-trillion club
- 10 Best honeymoon places near Delhi