How to cancel an Amazon order or item, before it's been shipped
- You can cancel an
Amazonorder from the "Your Orders" page of your account.
- You can't cancel an Amazon order if the item has already shipped, or if the seller doesn't allow
- If your cancellation request is denied, you can always try returning the item once it arrives, which is allowed in most cases.
If you've ever hopped on Amazon and found yourself filling your cart with stuff you don't really need but can't pass up at such a good price, you're not alone.
Buyer's remorse is something we've all experienced at one point or another, but what happens when you realize you don't really need any of this stuff after all?
Thankfully, if your order hasn't yet shipped and you placed the order pretty recently - within the past couple of hours, or up to 24 hours, depending on your chosen shipping speed - you may be able to cancel your order before it leaves one of the company's giant warehouses.
Here's how to do it on the Amazon website or mobile app.
How to cancel an Amazon order on the website
1. Go to the Amazon website and log in to your account.
2. Click "Returns & Orders" in the top-right corner of the homepage.
3. On the "Your Orders" page, find the order you want to cancel. Click the option to the right of the item that says "Cancel items."
4. On the next page, you may be told that your cancellation isn't guaranteed, but there's still no harm in trying. Scroll down and select your cancellation reason from the drop-down menu. Under "Cancel Item" on the right side, make sure the box next to the correct item is checked. Then, click "Cancel selected items" at the bottom-right of the screen.
5. From there, you'll be sent to a confirmation screen and an email will be sent to you detailing your cancellation request. You'll receive another email when it's determined whether or not your order could be successfully cancelled.
Note: You'll be notified of your cancellation status generally within an hour or so, though the time varies depending on whether your item was sold by Amazon or by a third-party seller, in which case you would need to contact the seller to determine your order status.
How to cancel an Amazon order on the mobile app
2. Tap the icon of three horizontal lines in the bottom-right corner to get to the menu.
3. Tap "Your Orders."
4. Find and select the order you want to cancel.
5. Select "Cancel items" and then "cancel checked items."
6. Just like on the website, you'll then be sent an email confirming your cancellation request. When your cancellation is approved or denied, you'll be sent another email.
How to return an Amazon order if you can't cancel it
Of course, it's always possible that your cancellation request is unsuccessful. Order cancellations may be rejected if the package has already been shipped, or if the item is from a third-party seller that does not allow (or promptly respond to) cancellation requests.Related Article Module: How to return a gift or purchased item on Amazon
For the most part, Amazon has a pretty relaxed return policy, so you can always begin that process if your unwanted order does indeed get delivered to your door. If your order was sold and fulfilled by Amazon, you have up to 30 days (and longer during the holiday season) to return the item for a full refund.
If your item was sold by a third party on Amazon, you'll need to check the seller's return policy on their seller page, or you can contact the seller. For more detailed information on Amazon's return policies, visit this Returns and Refunds support page.How to report a missing package on Amazon with the online retailer or a third-party sellerHow to set up two-factor authentication on Amazon to protect your account data and payment informationHow to reload your Amazon gift card balance online, or set up an auto-reload scheduleHow to easily reorder items you've bought on Amazon in 2 ways
- Mukka Proteins IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Know what are the 7 signs and symptoms of high cholesterol in your body
- Tata Motors to demerge biz into two separate listed companies
- Best drinks for constipation relief and digestive ease
- 10 Reasons why you should opt for plant-based diet