How to change your Twitter handle or username
- You can change your
- A Twitter handle doesn't have to be your real name, but you can't take a
usernamethat someone else has.
- Your Twitter handle starts with an @ symbol, and is different from your display name.
And best of all: You can change your Twitter handle whenever you want. All you need to do is open your account settings.
Here's how to change your Twitter handle, and go by a different @ name.
Important: If you're verified on Twitter, changing your handle will remove your verification status. You'll need to apply for it again afterwards.
How to change your Twitter handle
This guide will show how to change your handle via the Twitter mobile app, but the steps are nearly identical on the website.
1. Swipe right to open the side menu, and tap Settings and privacy at the bottom.
2. Tap Account, and then Username.
3. Enter your new name. You might also be given some suggestions - tap any of these to set it as your username immediately.
4. Tap Done to save your new handle.
Quick tip: If you're looking to change your display name - the larger and longer name that's at the top of your profile and all your tweets - you'll need to open your profile page, not settings. Check out our article How to change your Twitter display name on desktop or mobile for more details.
Steven John contributed to a previous version of this article.How to search through someone's tweets and find anything they've tweetedHow to log out of Twitter to protect your account's securityWhat does DM mean? Understanding the popular internet shorthand that refers to private messagingHow to delete and deactivate your Twitter account
- Discover what's new in iOS 17: Your ultimate guide to the latest features
- Hyderabad-based ethnic retailer Sai Silks Kalamandir IPO subscribed 4.4x
- After JP Morgan, Indian bonds set to enter other global bond indices; capital raising for infra push to get a boost
- 10 calcium-rich foods to ward Off calcium deficiency
- Amazon introduces next-gen of Echo smart devices with new-age AI