How to find your current location in Google Maps
Nico De Pasquale Photography/Getty Images
- Both the
Google Mapswebsite and the app have a " Current Location" button that allows you to find exactly where you are.
- To find your current location, you will have to give
- Here's how you can find out your current location using Google Maps.
AdvertisementGoogle Maps is great for getting directions to far off cities and obscure shopping plazas. But what if you open it up only to realize that you have no idea where you are right now?
That's not a problem. Every version of Google Maps has a "Current
Here's how to find where you currently are in Google Maps, using a computer or phone.
Before anything, make sure your device is connected to the internet. Even if you've saved some offline maps, you'll need internet access for Google Maps to find your location.
How to find where you are in Google Maps
1. Open Google Maps on your computer or smartphone and let the map load.
2. The app should center on your location automatically, but if it doesn't click or tap the Current Location button in the bottom-right corner. On the website and Android app it'll look like a bullseye, while in the iPhone app it'll look like an arrow.
3. Your browser or phone might ask you to give Google Maps permission to see your location. Allow it.
4. The map will move to focus on your location. The dark blue circle is where Google Maps thinks you currently are, and the translucent blue circle around it is where you could possibly be.
The faster your internet, the more sure Google Maps will be of your location, and the smaller that translucent range will be. If Google Maps is having issues finding you, it probably means that you need a better cell signal or faster internet.
Quick tip: In the iPhone and Android apps, tapping the Current Location button twice will turn on compass mode. The app will center on your location, but the map will rotate to match the direction you're currently facing in real life.
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk and more than 1,000 people sign an open letter calling for a pause on training AI systems more powerful than GPT-4
- A second giant 'hole' has appeared on the sun, and it could send 1.8 million mph solar winds towards Earth
- We used ChatGPT to plan international trips - here’s a tour of the results!
- Sebi to boost disclosure norms; do away with permanent board seats for individuals
- Here are the ten big income tax rule changes that will come into effect from April 1
- Not just for OTT, people rely on digital to discover & engage with content across TV and movies: BCG-Meta Report
- SPC Lifesciences files draft papers with SEBI for IPO
- Sensex rallies 346 pts, Nifty near 17,100 on firm global markets