How to recover deleted WhatsApp messages by restoring from a backup
- You can recover deleted
- Androids can recover WhatsApp messages from a
Google Driveor local backup, and iPhonecan recover from an iCloud backup.
- If you deleted some messages and then backed up, those messages will also be deleted from the backup and won't be recoverable.
If you use WhatsApp, you may be wondering how to recover your deleted WhatsApp messages. The app does provide a way to get it done, but only by restoring your information from a backup.
The process will depend on the kind of phone you're using - and where the backup data has been stored. Here's how to do it on
Quick tip: You need to have backed up your WhatsApp to be able to recover the messages. And if you've only backed up your WhatsApp data after deleting the messages, then they will not be recoverable.
How to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on Android
Again, you have to already have backed up your WhatsApp messages for this to work. If you reinstall the app without any prior
From a Google Drive back-up:
1. Uninstall and then reinstall WhatsApp.
2. Open the app and verify your number.
3. Tap Restore.
4. Select Next.
Your chats will then pop up once the initialization process is complete. After that, WhatsApp will start restoring your media files.
From a local back-up
If you have an Android and backed up your WhatsApp account to the phone's local backup, here's how to restore your deleted messages.
1. Go to your File Manager.
Quick tip: If you can't find the file manager, you may have to download the Google Files app.
2. Go into the WhatsApp folder and then tap Database.
3. Choose the file called msgstore.db.crypt12.
4. Rename it to msgstore_BACKUP.db.crypt12.
5. Select the most recently dated backup and rename it to msgstore.db.crypt12.
6. Open the Google Drive app, tap the three-line icon and tap Backups.
7. Delete the WhatsApp backup in the backups folder.
8. Uninstall and then reinstall WhatsApp.
9. Open the app and verify your phone number.
10. Tap Restore.
How to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on iPhone
As with Androids, you need a backup to recover your messages on an iPhone, though unlike Android, this backup will have been made through iCloud.
Quick tip: If you aren't sure that you have a chat backup, you can verify it by opening WhatsApp, going into the settings tab, selecting Chats and then going to Chat Backup.
1. Uninstall and then reinstall WhatsApp on your phone.
2. Open the app and verify your phone number.
3. Tap Restore to start the process of restoring your information from a backup and getting your deleted messages back.How to delete a WhatsApp group using your iPhone or Android deviceHow to make a call on WhatsApp to a single person or a group of friendsHow to create a WhatsApp group using your iPhone or Android deviceHow to send GIFs on WhatsApp using your iPhone or Android device
- Meet Rekha Rakesh Jhunjhunwala, the top Indian entrant in 2023 M3M Hurun Global Rich List
- Cyrus Poonawalla’s wealth grows as his health empire remains unlisted
- Adani Airports following investments as per plans submitted to govt: CEO
- Chinese leader Xi Jinping departs Russia but fails to achieve breakthrough in Ukraine conflict
- Healthcare, consumer goods minted the most Indian dollar billionaires