Is 'Fortnite' on Google Stadia? Here's why the popular game isn't available on the game-streaming platform
- "Fortnite" isn't available on Google Stadia, the cloud-gaming platform that debuted in November 2019.
- Epic Games' CEO Tim Sweeney implied in a tweet earlier this year that "Fortnite" might be available on Stadia someday.
However, "Fortnite," the world's second-most streamed game on Twitch in 2019, is not among Stadia's slate of streamable games.
Why 'Fortnite' isn't on Google Stadia
The unavailability of "Fortnite" might seem a bit strange, given that hosting a game as popular as "Fortnite" could help the emerging Stadia grow its user base. However, the opposite is apparently true for "Fortnite," developed by Epic Games.
When asked on Twitter about the "Fortnite"-sized void within Stadia in July, Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney obliged, responding in a tweet that there isn't a "deep reason" that "Fortnite" isn't on Stadia, but that because Stadia lacks a robust user base, it's not currently worth the effort to add Stadia to the game's availability on other platforms.
—Tim Sweeney (@TimSweeneyEpic) July 28, 2020
Fortunately though - and dissimilar to, for example, Epic Games' legal feud with Apple that has no end in sight - there appears to be no bad blood between Stadia and "Fortnite," as Sweeney's response suggests that Fortnite may be available on Stadia in the future.
In the meantime, Stadia players still have a fine selection of games to choose from, including blockbuster games like "Destiny 2" and "Red Dead Redemption 2."
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
- I just got laid off from my dream job at Tesla without warning. I feel like my life got uprooted so a billionaire could save some money.
- Four-days work week, full and final settlement within 2 days of exit — new changes at workplaces to reflect from July 1
- Mark Zuckerberg told Meta staff he's upping performance goals to get rid of employees who 'shouldn't be here,' report says
- SIMPLY PUT: extreme weather is the new normal in India
- Antonia Wade, PwC's global CMO, tells Insider how B2B spending changes in tough economic times
- Ban on single-use plastic kicks in across India as the country recognises the choking impacts of plastic waste on the environment
- Bank FDs will draw down from mutual funds if interest rates go up to 7.5-8%, says report
- Best smartphones under ₹40,000 in India