Is PS5 backward compatible? Yes, more than 4,000 PS4 games work on the next-gen console — here's what to know
PS5is largely backward compatible with PS4games, with more than 4,000 available titles.
- There are only about a half-dozen known PS4 games that are incompatible with the PS5.
- There are some limitations; for example, the Share menu can't be displayed on the PS5 when playing a PS4 game.
A new game console like the PlayStation 5 is a substantial investment, so ideally you can extend its value by continuing to play older PS4 games on it. If you are wondering if your existing library of PS4 games will work on your new PS5, you're in for some good news: It's a qualified "yes."
The PS5 is backward compatible with PS4, to an extent
An overwhelming majority of PS4 game titles will play on a PS5 console. That's about 4,000 games, so with rare exception, your existing game collection will play fine (though you should be sure your PS5 has all available updates installed before trying to play PS4 games). Sony also advises that you should verify the core game works properly on the PS5 before purchasing or installing any add-ons for the game.
In fact, some PS4 games may see an overall improvement when played on the PS5. Select games can take advantage of the PS5's Game Boost feature, which allows the game to run at a higher frame rate. Games that run better on PS5 thanks to Game Boost include Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Crysis Remastered, God of War, Ratchet & Clank, Rocket League, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and others.
If you enjoy PlayStation VR, you'll be pleased to learn that PS VR titles are included in the list of compatible games. Playing VR games on a PS5 requires a PS VR headset, PlayStation Camera for PS4, and a PlayStation Camera adaptor, and the games perform best when you use a DualShock 4 controller.
Specific PS4 on PS5 limitations
The list of PS4 games which are known to be incompatible with the PS5 is quite short. At this time, these are the only games to avoid:
- Afro Samurai 2: Revenge of Kuma Volume One
- TT Isle of Man – Ride on the Edge 2
- Just Deal With It!
- Robinson: The Journey
- We Sing
- Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
Even though most other games will run on the PS5, the
Note: PS5 backward compatibility is not extended to PS3, PS2, or PS1 games.
- The Cybertruck's lack of door handles confused its first buyers — leading Elon Musk to show them how to open the truck
- Adani Group to invest USD 75 bn to scale up AGEL's RE portfolio to 45 GW: Gautam Adani
- OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI. Here's how her team built her new chatbot.
- Electric eels can change the genetic composition of other organisms by shocking them!
- Exploring vibrant flavors: 10 healthy salad options in India
- 10 dry fruits to include in your daily winter diet
- Paytm to focus on big ticket loans to low-risk credit-worthy customers
- 10 Cities in India perfect for a chill and relaxed life