Nintendo Switch Online gives you online multiplayer, free Switch games, secure save data, and more — here's how it works
- With a
Nintendo Switch Onlinesubscription you can play online multiplayer games on your NintendoSwitch.
- Nintendo Switch Online subscriptions start at $3.99 a month for an individual subscription, $7.99 for three months, and $19.99 for a year.
Nintendo SwitchOnline subscription also gives you access to dozens of free games, including the popular "Tetris 99."
If you want to make the most of your Nintendo Switch experience, then you need to get a Nintendo Switch Online subscription.
Nintendo Switch Online gives you unlimited access to online play, which is great for games like "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate," and necessary to play online-only games like "Fortnite."
An individual Nintendo Switch Online membership costs $3.99 a month, $7.99 for three months, or $19.99 for a year.
Alternatively, you can sign up for a Family Membership, which gives up to eight Nintendo Account holders online access for a year. This plan costs $34.99.
You can even try the service free for seven days.
You can sign up for Nintendo Switch Online using your Switch, or straight from your computer or phone. Here are some of the great features you'll find with Nintendo Switch Online.
What a Nintendo Switch Online subscription offers
Live multiplayer action
You can play multiplayer games on the Switch without internet, but you'll need to have all the players in the same room together.
With Switch Online, you can play in real time with gamers from all around the world. This is crucial for games like "Fortnite" and "Overwatch," which don't feature offline game modes.
You also get free access to "Tetris 99," a Battle Royale version of "Tetris" that pits you in a survival contest against 99 other players at once.
Classic Nintendo Games
A Nintendo Switch Online subscription gives you automatic access to dozens of free Nintendo Entertainment System and Super Nintendo Entertainment System titles. These games, originally released in the late 1980s and early 90s, have been remastered specifically for play on the Switch.
From classic Nintendo games like "Dr. Mario" and "Double Dragon," to Super Nintendo titles like the original "Mario Kart," many of your all-time favorite games are there waiting for you.
You can also play these games online, with people across the world. Playing games from the 80s and 90s online is a brand new way to experience them.
Cloud game save data
With Switch Online, you can save your game data to the cloud, so that even if your console is lost or damaged, you won't lose your progress.
However, if you unsubscribe from the Nintendo Switch Online service, you'll need to resubscribe within 180 days, or your cloud saves will be erased.
Use the Nintendo Switch Online app
Nintendo Switch Online also gives you access to the Nintendo Switch Online app for iPhone and Android, which allows you to check your in-game stats, and voice chat with anyone who you're playing with who also has the app.
Certain games, like "Animal Crossing: New Horizons," gain new functionality when connected to the Nintendo Switch Online app. New features are added often
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
- 'Texting between iPhone and Android is broken:' Google puts Apple on blast for converting Android texts to green bubbles and 'blurry' compressed videos
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beta arrives next month – here’s how to get early access
- Indian diamantaires want to make lab-grown diamonds a woman’s best friend
- Indian markets close flat as they await cues from US inflation data
- Best car pressure washers in India
- What's the Bechdel Test that Sushmita Sen’s Aarya, Kajol’s Tribhanga rated high on?
- Snapchat brings paid subscription service to India amid layoffs, poor growth
- Microsoft lays off more workers, this time from consumer R&D team: Report