What is an Ethernet cable? Here's how to connect to the internet without Wi-Fi and get a speedier connection
Ethernetcable lets you physically connect your computer to the internet.
- Ethernet connections are almost always faster than Wi-Fi connections, and are usually more stable.
- You'll need to connect one end of the Ethernet cable to your router, and the other to your computer.
The majority of users access the internet using wireless devices, like phones or laptops. These devices connect to the internet using Wi-Fi, wireless signals that broadcast throughout your house.
But if you've been using the internet for a while - or you have a desktop computer that you don't use Wi-Fi for - you'll probably be using an Ethernet cable instead. Ethernet
An Ethernet cable 'hardwires' your computer to an internet connection
An Ethernet cable, sometimes referred to as a network cable, is a cord that runs from a router, modem, or network switch to your computer, giving your device access to the local area network (LAN) - in other words, giving it
Gaming with an Ethernet cable means less lag and faster loading times for multiplayer games. And every major game console can connect with an Ethernet port - although to connect a Nintendo Switch, you'll need an adapter.Just be careful not to unplug your cable while you're using it, as doing so will disconnect you from the internet instantly. Luckily, Ethernet cables are made to snap snugly into place, so it's hard to pull them out accidentally. Ethernet cables come in a range of lengths and colors, but both sides of the cord are the same, regardless of the brand of cable or device you're hardwiring.
Ethernet accessories can help you connect any device
Although newer, slender models of laptops don't tend to have Ethernet ports, you can still utilize an Ethernet cable with a USB or USB-C adapter.
Another common accessory to pair with an Ethernet cable is a network switch. This add-on lets you convert an Ethernet connection into multiple ones, allowing you to, for instance, hardwire both your Xbox and Chromecast to the internet at the same time.How to tell if someone is stealing your Wi-Fi and how to stop them What is mesh Wi-Fi? Here's what you need to know about the system that extends your Wi-Fi network 'What is a good internet speed?': The internet speeds you should aim for, based on how you use the internet How to boost your internet speed at home in 8 ways, and make sure you're not being overcharged for low speeds
- Revolut starts India operations, appoints former Lendingkart, Flipkart executive Paroma Chatterjee as CEO
- Top 10 longest sixes in IPL matches from 2008 to till date
- OPINION: Regulation of games of skill under a central legislative regime is the need of the hour
- OPINION: Why weekend lockdowns and night curfews aren't the only solution to India's surging cases of COVID-19
- Haryana government declares summer vacation in schools due to spike in COVID-19 cases