What is stream sniping? Here's what you need to know about the livestream exploitation tactic in gaming, and how to prevent it
- Stream sniping is when an online gamer exploits the livestream of a person they're playing against in an abusive, advantageous, or annoying way.
- You may be able to modify your livestream in a way that foils the tactics of would-be stream snipers.
Stream sniping is an opportunistic tactic in
It's a simple trick, but stream sniping can result in an experience so frustrating that it can send a livestreamer into expletive-addled rages that get them banned from Twitch.
What to know about stream snipingStream sniping is a sort of
The advantage a stream sniper has is nothing to scoff at - that window into another player's gameplay can make a difference, and it's even a bannable offense when used in some instances, like one streamer did in Twitch's Rivals competition.
How to prevent and mitigate stream snipingSome games, like "Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War," have measures to try and prevent stream snipers from being in the same games as streamers in the first place by hiding information about game matchmaking.
Twitch, the most popular platform for livestreaming, has a broadcast delay feature for streamers to mitigate stream sniping. If a stream sniper ends up in a game with a streamer, they'll be watching the streamer's actions on a delay of several seconds, obfuscating the streamer's exact position in the game at any moment.Streamers often try to grow an audience by featuring their username with the added "TTV" to indicate a
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
- Over One lakh oxygen concentrators cleared by customs from April 24 to May 4
- Check out who all can travel to the US amidst uncertainty in international travel
- Water shortage might be on the way to worsen Delhi's COVID-19 crisis
- Himachal Pradesh government imposes curfew effective from tomorrow till May 16
- A third wave of COVID-19 will surely come and it may spread faster and wider but don't know when, says advisor to the Indian government