Yes, 'Minecraft' is cross-platform - here's how to play with your friends on any system
Minecraft" offers cross-platformgameplay for both editions of the game, but in different ways.
- If you're playing "Minecraft: Bedrock Edition," you can play with Windows, PlayStation, Xbox, Switch, and smartphone players.
- If you're playing "Minecraft: Java Edition," you can play with Windows, Mac, and Linux players.
Over the past few years, "Minecraft" has developed a great
Just note that there are two different versions of "Minecraft," and each one of them does crossplay a bit differently. The biggest thing to remember is that you can play "Minecraft" with anyone who owns the same version as you.
If you want to play with your friends, here's what you need to know about how "Minecraft" supports cross-platform gaming.
'Minecraft: Bedrock Edition' allows cross-platform play across consoles, phones, and PCs
"Minecraft: Bedrock Edition" is playable on Windows 10 PCs, Xbox One and Series S/X, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5, iOS and iPadOS devices, and Android devices.
If you're playing "Minecraft: Bedrock Edition," you can add friends and play with them on any other system. They just have to be playing "Bedrock Edition" too.
Quick tip: Be aware that you may not see the word "Bedrock" when you buy a copy of "Minecraft" for your console - the subtitle is generally omitted in the marketing. On PCs, for example, it's often called just "Minecraft for Windows 10."
If you're playing that version, or any version of "Minecraft" on a console or phone, you're playing "Bedrock."
How to do crossplay in 'Minecraft: Bedrock Edition'
To play cross-platform you simply need to add and invite your friends to your world. Here's how:
After launching "Minecraft," sign into your Microsoft account (Xbox One users will have an account automatically). You'll see a button for this in the main menu if you're not signed in already. Console players will also need an online subscription for their device, such as Xbox Live or Nintendo Switch Online.
- Load an existing world or create a new one and launch it. Once your world is loaded, open the in-game pause menu.
Click "Invite to Game," on the far-right, then select the option to "Find Cross-Platform Friends" on the next screen.
- Find your friends using their Minecraft ID, also known as their gamertag, and select "Add Friend."
Friends added and available for multiplayer will appear under "Online Friends." Check the box by their gamertag and click "Send 1 Invite." When they accept, they'll be loaded into your world.
Note that some worlds in "Bedrock" can't be played with users on other platforms. This is because each console has exclusive content that's only available on that specific console.
For instance, on the Nintendo Switch, you can't share the "Mario Mash-Up" world template with friends on other platforms. You can only share it with other Switch users.
'Minecraft: Java Edition' allows cross-platform play across PC, Mac, and Linux
"Minecraft: Java Edition" is the original version of "Minecraft," and while it's not playable on consoles, it's the only version available for Mac and Linux users.
"Java" users can play with other "Java" players, regardless of whether they're running the game on a Windows, Linux, or Apple operating system.
Playing multiplayer with "Java" is a little more complicated than "Bedrock," but not difficult once you're familiarized. These are a few of your options:
- You can use a public Minecraft server or create your own, and invite friends using an IP address
- You can pay for Minecraft Realms, where Mojang hosts multiplayer servers for you but it costs money.
- Or you can play together by sharing a local area network, or LAN, meaning you'll have to be in the same place as the other players.
For more detail on how to play with others in "Minecraft: Java Edition," check out our article "How to play multiplayer in 'Minecraft: Java Edition,' using either a public server or one you create yourself."How to add friends in 'Minecraft' so you can build and explore your digital world togetherHow to install 'Minecraft' mods and resource packs to completely reinvent your gameHow to change your character's skin in 'Minecraft' to give them a different appearance'Minecraft Java' vs. 'Bedrock:' A full breakdown of Minecraft's two major versions and which one you should buy
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 Lite 5G and Nord Buds 2 to launch on April 4 – Here’s all you need to know
- Amazon Convertible Fest sale – Best deals on convertible ACs and refrigerators
- Govt intervention critical to remove green financing barriers, IPCC report stresses as we move towards 3.5°C warming
- BYJU's set to raise $250 million, at a lower valuation
- Piramal Realty inks deal with Jio-bp to install EV charging stations at its properties