Apple announces iOS 16 update – here are the new features, eligible devices and everything you need to know
Applehas announced the iOS 16 updateat the WWDC.
- The iOS 16 update will be available to iPhone 8 and newer devices.
- The iPhone SE will also receive the iOS 16 update.
- Here are the eligible devices and the new features of iOS 16.
AdvertisementApple has announced iOS 16, the latest version of its software that powers the company’s iPhones, at the ongoing Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC).
The iOS 16 update brings several improvements and new features such as an improved lock screen, focus mode, Apple Pay Later, parental controls, health features and more.
In this post, we look at the devices that are promised to get the iOS 16 update, and the new features announced.
iOS 16 eligible devices
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone X and iPhone XR
- iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max.
- iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 Mini, iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max
iOS 16 features
iOS 16 brings several updates to the lock screen. It comes with access to wallpapers with widget-like customisations. Users will be able to choose from different typefaces and colour filters while selecting a lock screen widget.
The users will also be able to set a photo shuffle that automatically keeps changing the lock screen photo throughout the day.
The update also brings support for widgets for weather, calendar events, activity progress, battery levels and more.
Live Activities is another feature that has been introduced with the iOS 16 update. It allows you to keep a track of ongoing activities such as a game, food order status, workout and more right from your lock screen.
AdvertisementApple’s Focus feature has also received an update with the new update. It has been made easier to set up and has been connected to the lock screen. Users can activate Focus by swiping to the corresponding lock screen.
iCloud Shared Photo Library
Apple has announced the iCloud Shared Photo Library that allows families to easily share photos in a separate iCloud library. It allows up to six users to contribute to the library.
Apple has said that users will receive suggestions to share photos that include participants in the shared photo library.
Messages has also received a major update and users will now be able to edit and recall recently sent messages. All you need to do to edit or recall a message is tap and hold on that message and select the appropriate option.
AdvertisementApple has added the ability to schedule emails and cancel the delivery of emails before it reaches the recipient. Apple has also added a new feature that will inform users if they have forgotten to include an attachment or any other part of the mail.
Apple Pay Later
Apple has also introduced the Apple Pay Later feature that will be available in selected markets. It will allow users to split the cost of a purchase on Apple Pay into four equal installments spread over six weeks, without having to pay any interest or a fee.
The iOS 16 update also brings improvements to parental controls. Parents will now be able to manage their kids' accounts as soon as they set it up and they will receive suggestions based upon age-appropriate restrictions for movies, apps, music and more.
Apple has said that it will use the motion sensors on the device to estimate burned calories. Users will be able to set a “move goal” using the fitness app and also track their active calories. The update also brings a new feature for medicines, allowing you to add and manage their ongoing medications.
Apple MacBook Air, MacBook Pro announced – price in India, specs and everything you need to know
Apple will soon let you use your iPhone camera as a webcam – here’s how
After a decade, Apple unveils a redesign MacBook Air along with macOS Ventura — all details here
Popular on BI
- WhatsApp introduces the “Message Yourself” feature, working on voice status updates and more
- Live your life American Express’ Platinum way: Exceptional privileges, rewards and experiences
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- India will succeed in handling inflation better: Sitharaman
- India's GDP growth comes in at 6.3% in Q2: manufacturing, mining witness negative growth
- Dharmaj Crop Guard IPO subscribed by a whole 35.49 times on last day
- Sensex, Nifty50 rewrite all-time highs yet again – RIL, HDFC twins most active, ICICI Bank touches new 52-week high
- Bollywood films failing is a phase, our films will bounce back strongly: Kajol