After foldable phones, the next big upgrade from Samsung could be a rollable design
- Samsung has been quite open when it comes to what future foldable phones would look like.
- A new patent gives us a glimpse at a new phone with a rolling display.
- This phone even has a dedicated S Pen slot.
AdvertisementSamsung is at the forefront of foldable smartphones occupying a lion’s share in the market. The company also regularly gives us a sneak peek at its future and different forms of smartphone displays. A new patent has been granted by WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organisation) for a Samsung smartphone with a rollable or slidable display.
This smartphone’s display mechanism is quite unique according to the patent images. We can see a rollable display that has a sliding motor on the left side. There’s even a dedicated space on the side for the S Pen. The patent images also reveal notifications and other key shortcuts placed vertically on one side of the display. The cameras appear to sit on top of the S Pen.
The patent does give us a hint at what to expect from Samsung’s future displays for smartphones but it isn’t something entirely new. The company itself has revealed sketches of what its future foldable could look like and the examples include a phone with a tri-fold display, a rollable display that expands to work as a tablet.
A closer example to the latest patent would be the concept designs for folding and sliding displays that Samsung showcased last year. The sliding phone concept has a similar design where the display rolls outward from the side. But like the patent, this one too is only a concept for now and there’s no word on when Samsung will actually launch something like this.
Connect & network with business leaders and visionaries.March 17th 2023 We Work - BKC, MumbaiRegister Now
Global CPO, Tech Mahindra
Head - DEI, Axis Bank
Co-Founder, Good Glam Group
Influencer, Podcaster, Entrepreneur
Dr C Jayakumar
Exec VP & CHRO, L&T
CEO, WeWork India
LG did launch a promising rollable phone but with its smartphone business shutting down we probably won’t get to see one. As for Samsung, there’s a lot to expect in terms of futuristic smartphone displays.
Popular on BI
- The college student who tracks Elon Musk's private jet says the Tesla CEO only seems to care about tracking planes if it affects him
- A 53-year-old longevity researcher says his 'biological age' is a decade younger thanks to 4 daily habits — but the science behind them is mixed
- A millennial who became a millionaire after the 2008 crash says building wealth is about more than opportunistic investing. You also have to make lifestyle changes and load up on side hustles.
- ChatGPT Plus subscription launched in India – price, benefits, and more
- India gains 2 spots on mobile download speeds globally
- The worst ODI losses for the Indian cricket team
- As Covid cases rise, Kerala, Maharashtra, Gujarat report highest numbers
- Air India to temporarily reduce flights on some US routes: CEO Campbell Wilson