After foldable phones, the next big upgrade from Samsung could be a rollable design
- Samsung has been quite open when it comes to what future foldable phones would look like.
- A new patent gives us a glimpse at a new phone with a rolling display.
- This phone even has a dedicated S Pen slot.
AdvertisementSamsung is at the forefront of foldable smartphones occupying a lion’s share in the market. The company also regularly gives us a sneak peek at its future and different forms of smartphone displays. A new patent has been granted by WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organisation) for a Samsung smartphone with a rollable or slidable display.
This smartphone’s display mechanism is quite unique according to the patent images. We can see a rollable display that has a sliding motor on the left side. There’s even a dedicated space on the side for the S Pen. The patent images also reveal notifications and other key shortcuts placed vertically on one side of the display. The cameras appear to sit on top of the S Pen.
The patent does give us a hint at what to expect from Samsung’s future displays for smartphones but it isn’t something entirely new. The company itself has revealed sketches of what its future foldable could look like and the examples include a phone with a tri-fold display, a rollable display that expands to work as a tablet.
A closer example to the latest patent would be the concept designs for folding and sliding displays that Samsung showcased last year. The sliding phone concept has a similar design where the display rolls outward from the side. But like the patent, this one too is only a concept for now and there’s no word on when Samsung will actually launch something like this.
LG did launch a promising rollable phone but with its smartphone business shutting down we probably won’t get to see one. As for Samsung, there’s a lot to expect in terms of futuristic smartphone displays.
Popular on BI
- Maha crisis: Sena calls floor test illegal and malafide
- GST on casinos, lotteries, horse races deferred as Nirmala Sitharaman
- Shiprocket is India’s most valuable gazelle, and all set to turn unicorn in 2 years, says report
- Zepto, Dunzo among the next 122 unicorns from India — here's the complete Hurun list
- BYJU's cuts 600 jobs across Toppr, WhiteHat Jr