10 things in tech: Amazon's new era, Branson in space, Crypto startups
Good morning and welcome to
Let's get to it.
1. Andy Jassy has started as Amazon's new CEO, replacing Jeff Bezos. His first 100 days will set the tone for his leadership, and he'll have to tackle issues like improving workplace conditions and unionization. More on Jassy's challenges here.
2. Billionaire Richard Branson aims to fly to the edge of space before Jeff Bezos. Virgin Galactic announced it was planning to launch Branson aboard a flight as early as July 11; Bezos is expected to launch July 20. But the CEO of Blue Origin says Bezos will fly higher.
3. POWER PLAYERS: We looked at 35 of Google's most powerful executives in Europe, covering everything from AI to regulation. Google faces numerous challenges in Europe, where it has been fined to the tune of almost $10 billion on antitrust grounds. Check out the full list.
4. China ordered the removal of the Didi ridehailing app from stores. The suspension comes days after the tech giant went public in New York.More on China's tech crackdown.
5. A Gen Z VC negotiated for a paid apartment, car, tuition and other compensation perks. His employer, an east coast VC fund, agreed to a lower base pay with a rare compensation package. He explains how he did it.
6. Jeff Bezos had a number of flops under his watch. Bezos famously embraces failure as a part of doing business - even when it results in billions in losses. From a multiplayer game to Amazon Restaurants, take a look at Amazon's biggest flops during the Bezos era.
7. Trump's social app GETTR is off to a rocky start, with the service and several high-profile accounts experiencing hacks and security bugs. The platform's most popular verified users, mostly former Trump aides, had their accounts compromised on Sunday and GETTR's official support page was also targeted. Here's who got hacked.
8. Google's AI chief Jeff Dean sparked controversy after trying to attract marginalized groups to a research program. Critics pointed out that the company had not publicly resolved an ongoing spat between two AI researchers it fired. Dean ended up deleting his tweet.
9. Top VCs shared their 10 picks for the most promising crypto startups of 2021. From non-fungible tokens to decentralized finance and cryptocurrency, here's what they think is worth keeping an eye on.
10. The woman who just led Turkey's first Nasdaq listing says society remains biased about male and female roles. Hanzade Dogan is a founder of Turkey's Amazon, Hepsiburada, which went public at a $3.5 billion valuation.Here's how she views efforts to get women in leadership.
- Gandhar Oil IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- White collar roles more at threat from AI
- Market cap of BSE-listed firms hits record high of Rs 331 lakh crore; just shy of entering $4-trillion club
- 10 Best honeymoon places near Delhi
- Samsung launches new smartphone with 50 MP camera in India