10 things in tech you need to know today
Good morning! This is the tech news you need to know this Friday. Sign up here to get this email in your inbox every morning.
Have an Amazon Alexa device? Listen to this update by searching "Business Insider" in your flash briefing settings.
And for the biggest stories in politics, sign up here for 10 Things in Politics You Need to Know Today — launching soon!
- Vietnam will make more iPads. Apple's biggest supplier, Foxconn, is to shift more production to Vietnam to offset trade war risks with China.
- Coinbase is in damage control mode. The crypto firm sent out a pre-emptive denial ahead of a New York Times story that is expected to allege that Black employees had negative experiences at the company.
- Microsoft enabled work spying, critics say. A Microsoft 365 tool collects detailed data about how employees are using email and whether they turn their camera on during meetings.
- China's tech giants are losing India. More than 200 Chinese apps are banned in the country, according to the FT.
- Amazon workers will protest Black Friday. Workers across 15 countries have co-ordinated to organize against the online shopping event, Vice reports.
- Amazon and Apple should tackle waste, lawmakers say. According to British MPs, tech giants should do more to collect and recycle electronic waste.
- TikTok's sale or merger is looking increasingly unlikely. The app has been given a week's extension to its sale deadline and with President Trump on the way out, the transaction remains up in the air.
- Europe may push through the right to repair. The European Parliament voted in support of rules that would allow consumers to repair phones, laptops, and tablets without the interference of the original device makers.
- Business Insider revealed how much Tesla, Rivian, and Nikola pay employees. Engineers at electric vehicle firms can expect to earn into the six figures.
- Business Insider got hold of Uber's employee handbook. The document illustrates the differences between the tones that CEO Dara Khosrowshahi and his predecessor, Travis Kalanick, set for the company's culture.
- Air Canada, Emirates, Air India and other airlines resume flights to Toronto and the tickets are priced up to ₹5 lakh
- I flew on a $65 million Gulfstream G650ER private jet and saw why it's a favorite of tech billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos
- Srei Group may leave a $4 billion hole in some of India’s biggest banks
- Indian government decides to pay ₹50,000 to kin of those who died of COVID-19
- SpaceX CEO Elon Musk reveals 'challenges' with toilet during Inspiration4 mission, promises upgrades in future
- South Korea’s crypto regulations are tightening around investors and exchanges alike
- All that you need to know if you are travelling to the UK
- Indian financial system steadily maturing, as it moves away from banks, says RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das