A foldable iPhone is reportedly in the works for 2023
Apple's iPhonecould have a completely different form factor in two years.
foldable iPhoneis expected as early as 2023, a note from the Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said.
- The phone would be larger than ever, at 7 to 8 inches, according to Kuo.
Apple's most important product, the iPhone, could be getting a major new form factor in the next few years.
Kuo said the foldable iPhone could be 7 to 8 inches, according to MacRumors. That would put it in line with the size of the iPad Mini.
Notably, we've heard in other reports that Apple is looking into foldable-screen concepts. The company has also patented a variety of foldable designs, though it's unclear whether any will become a reality.
Apple has not officially announced such a device, and company representatives didn't respond to a request for comment.
Apple's main smartphone competitor,
The most recent device, the Galaxy Z Fold 2, launched in September. In addition to the novelty of a folding screen, Samsung's folding smartphones have a hefty price tag: $2,000 and up.
If Apple were to release such a device, it could come with a similarly large price tag. For now, it appears Apple is still considering whether creating such a device is worth it.
Got a tip? Contact Insider senior correspondent Ben Gilbert via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Twitter DM (@realbengilbert). We can keep sources anonymous. Use a nonwork device to reach out. PR pitches by email only, please.
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google recruiter says he discovered he'd lost his job after a call with one of his candidates suddenly disconnected
- Google may release Pixel Tablet Pro with Tensor G2 chip
- BMW launches its 3rd gen BMW X1 in India
- YouTube Music on the web gets mood filters
- Premium segment contributed 35% of overall smartphone market revenue in 2022
- US industry urges FM to rationalise, simplify direct and indirect taxes in India