After spending years mocking Apple for ditching the headphone jack in iPhones, Google is getting rid of it too
Pixel6a is the latest entry in Google's long-running budget-smartphone line.
Google's next major smartphone, the Pixel 6a, marks the end of an era: Like
When the new phone arrives sometime this summer, the only way to plug in
The budget line of Google's fan-favorite Pixel phones was one of the last holdouts with a headphone jack in a market that started phasing them out back in 2016 when Apple dropped the feature with the iPhone 7.
Over the last six years, Google repeatedly played up that distinguishing characteristic in
As recently as last August — just nine months ago — Google created an entire ad for the Pixel 5a based on it having a headphone jack:
As The Verge highlights, Google has been touting the headphone jack as a key feature of the Pixel line since its inception.
Though Google eventually removed the headphone jack from its flagship Pixel phones, it continued touting the port in its more budget-friendly Pixel "a" line.
That distinction ended this week, when Google unveiled the new Pixel 6a at its annual developer conference,
"We ultimately decided that including a headphone jack detracted from core product specifications and didn't align with the Google ecosystem we are striving for," a Google representative told Insider. "We significantly improved the Pixel 6a's Bluetooth performance by adding Bluetooth v5.2 and dual chain support, meaning connected devices will have great audio range and quality."
Take a look at the next
Got a tip? Contact Insider senior correspondent Ben Gilbert via email (email@example.com), or Twitter DM (@realbengilbert). We can keep sources anonymous. Use a non-work device to reach out. PR pitches by email only, please.
- Kellyanne Conway says her husband was 'cheating by tweeting' his disdain for former President Trump in her new memoir
- The worst for Indian startups is yet to come — be prepared for layoffs, unicorn slowdown and startup shutdowns in 2022
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- What would happen to Twitter if Elon Musk backs out now?
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off
- Supreme Court of India extends time for submitting Pegasus probe report
- Chopper services launched in Goa for tourists, locals
- Both Ambuja Cements and ACC are bet worth investing with strong parent Adani