Airbnb will up its maximum penalty for hosts who cancel last-minute from $100 to $1,000
Airbnbis changing its cancellationfee policyfor hostsfrom August 22.
- Hosts who cancel reservations last-minute could face a fee of up to $1,000.
Airbnb is changing its cancellation policy so hosts who suddenly cancel
Currently the maximum penalty for hosts that cancel reservations less than seven days before check-in is $100. From August 22, the maximum fee will be $1,000, Airbnb said in blog post Wednesday. Fees are deducted from hosts' future payouts.
Airbnb said it is changing its policy to crack down on hosts cancelling on guests unfairly.
"When Hosts cancel on guests for preventable reasons — such as accidentally double-booking or wanting to host friends and family instead — guests lose the confidence to book on Airbnb, and this affects all Hosts and hurts our entire community," the company said.
"We found that this fee structure doesn't adequately reflect the costs of moving guests into a similar or better place, often at the last minute, after a Host cancels for an avoidable reason," it added.
Airbnb did not immediately respond when contacted by Insider to ask why it is waiting until near the end of the summer holiday season to enact the new policy.
Hosts will still be able to apply for exemptions to the fees if they have to cancel for a valid reason such as emergency repairs to the property or personal illness.
Hosts are also allowed to cancel reservations if they can prove a guest intends to throw a party at their property.
Airbnb permanently banned house parties in June, solidifying a temporary ban it introduced in August 2020 in response to the COVID pandemic.
"Over time, the party ban became much more than a public health measure," the company said in June.
"It developed into a bedrock community policy to support our Hosts and their neighbors," it added.
This summer has seen a strong rebound in international
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May