Amazon is reportedly encouraging their US call center employees to work from home indefinitely — so they can eventually close their offices
- Amazon is asking some of its US-based call center employees to work from home indefinitely, according to Bloomberg.
- The request is part of a broader push by Amazon to shut down several call centers across the country.
Amazon is weighing in again on the return-to-office debate.
The tech giant is reportedly telling many of its US-based call center employees to work from home, according to a report Wednesday by Bloomberg News.
Earlier this month, Amazon's CEO Andy Jassy said at the Code Conference in Los Angeles that the company would embrace a flexible model that allowed for remote and hybrid work. Jassy said many of Amazon's tech workers have returned to the office.
Call center workers though, comprise a small percentage of Amazon's 1.5 million-employee workforce, Bloomberg reports. The decision to keep them at home comes as part of a larger push to close several call centers across the country.
Aside from saving money on real estate, Amazon might be going remote to widen its call center talent pool. By requesting those workers to stay at home, the company can hire people from more remote parts of the country. That might also help Amazon retain more workers in a sector with high turnover rates, Bloomberg notes.
Amazon spokesperson Brad Glasser told Insider via email that, "We're offering additional members of our Customer Service team the increased flexibility that comes with working virtually. We're working with employees to make sure their transition is seamless while continuing to prioritize best-in-class support for customers."
- Seeking nominations for the 2024 rising stars of adtech
- Eli Lilly stock will surge 29% over the next year with its weight-loss drug on pace to do $60 billion in sales by 2030, BofA says
- A millennial who quit her office job to live in a school bus explains what her lifestyle costs and how she makes 6 figures freelancing
- Know what are the 7 signs and symptoms of high cholesterol in your body
- Tata Motors to demerge biz into two separate listed companies
- Best drinks for constipation relief and digestive ease
- 10 Reasons why you should opt for plant-based diet
- Discover peace at India's most calming hideout: top 10 stress-free places in India