Amazon made a small change to its app icon after the design reminded some people of Hitler's mustache
- Amazon changed its app icon after users flagged a resemblance to Adolf Hitler's mustache.
- The icon was overhauled earlier this year.
- The updated icon has avoided comparisons to the Nazi war criminal, but been compared to "Avatar" character Aang.
The recently redesigned Amazon app icon has been changed yet again by the tech company after some customers saw a resemblance to Adolf Hitler's infamous mustache, The Verge reported.
Amazon first rolled out an update to the app's icon in January, according to reporting from The Verge. The icon featured Amazon's signature smiling arrow, but a jagged row of tape atop it made some users think of the Nazi dictator.
After some Twitter users posted about the unsettling resemblance, Amazon quietly changed the design, swapping out the jagged tape for a boxier counterpart that makes it look more like a package and less like a face.
The former Amazon app icon was a simple white box, and the redesign is an effort to brand the company with its distinctive brown box and blue tape formula. However, users continue to see faces in the icon.
This time, Twitter was abuzz with comparisons to "Avatar: The Last Airbender"'s Aang, with his distinctive blue-striped bald head.
—Avatar: The Last Airbender (@AvatarContexts) March 1, 2021
As Marketplace reported in 2019, Amazon has gone through several logos since going from a bookstore to a retail behemoth. The current logo, with sans serif text and the smiling arrow, came about in 2012, after the company dropped the ".com" from the logo.
An Amazon spokesperson said in a statement that the company "introduced an icon in select countries and made changes based on customer feedback before we rolled it out worldwide."
- Flair Writing IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Mini Ratna IREDA stock zooms on debut with over 60% listing gains
- COP28 set to kick off from Nov 30 — UAE hopeful for deal on renewable energy tripling, doubling energy efficiency
- Family Man Manoj Bajpayee bats for movie heroes who look like ‘the common man’
- Gandhar Oil IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more