Amazon says it's creating a $2 billion green energy fund to invest in companies working to build a carbon-free future
Amazonplans to create a $2 billion sustainable venture fund to invest in all sorts of companies working toward a greener future.
- The company also accelerated its plan to become fully carbon-neutral, now targeting 2025.
- Amazon has invested in 91 projects so far, from solar roofs to electric delivery vehicles.
Amazon is injecting $2 billion into a new venture capital fund focused on a carbon-free future, the e-commerce giant said Tuesday, while accelerating its timeline for being powered completely by renewable energy.
The project "will invest in visionary companies whose product and service solutions will facilitate the transition to a low carbon economy," Amazon said, without providing a timeline for the first deals.
"Companies from around the world of all sizes and stages will be considered, from pre-product startups to well-established enterprises," CEO Jeff Bezos said in a press release. "Each prospective investment will be judged on its potential to accelerate the path to zero carbon and help protect the planet for future generations."
Amazon has invested in nearly 100
The company will also join a growing cohort of companies that have pledged to go
Consumers are actively choosing sustainably marketed products, data shows. Research from NYU Stern's Center for Sustainable Business, as reported by Harvard Business Review, says products with a sustainability claim made up 16.6% of sales in 2018, up from 14.3% in 2013.
Things like carbon credits, while mostly a financial transaction, can have a real effect too.
"For some companies, offsetting makes up for what they can't reduce internally," Rebecca Fay, chief marketing officer at Natural Capital Partners, told Vox in March. "It's a powerful mechanism to ensure that emissions are being reduced now."
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- Meet the newest employee at Elon Musk's SpaceX. He's 14.
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Srinagar
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar