Apple CEO Tim Cook is among the high-profile executives that will testify in the upcoming 'Fortnite' court case
Apple's Tim Cookand Epic Games' Tim Sweeney will testify in the Fortnitecase.
- It marks the latest in a series of lawsuits Epic Games has filed against Apple.
- The court case is tentatively scheduled to start on May 3.
Apple Inc and Epic Games have called their chief executive officers to testify as part of the upcoming "Fortnite" App Store trial, court documents show.
Apple CEO Tim Cook, SVP Craig Federighi, and former marketing chief and present App Store vice-president Matt Fischer are on the list of tentative witnesses to testify live and face-to-face in the courtroom, among others.
Epic Games submitted its founder and CEO Tim Sweeney, store manager Steve Allison, and chief of online business strategy Thomas Ko, as its witnesses for the trial.
Reuters reported that Epic Games said: "The chorus of developers speaking out against Apple and their anticompetitive practices has become louder."
Apple responded in a statement to Bloomberg, which said it felt "confident the case will prove that Epic purposefully breached its agreement solely to increase its revenues."
The fight began after Epic Games circumvented rules Apple and Google have in place over in-app payments made through their App Stores.
Developers are obliged to pay Apple and Google a 30% commission on any payments that are made inside their apps. Epic Games claimed this was anti-competitive.
Epic Games then implemented its own payment system inside "Fortnite," which led to it being kicked off Apple's App Store and the Google Play Store, as Insider previously reported.
The Apple court case is provisionally due to start on May 3, with Cook due to give a 7-hour deposition.
Apple says its top executives "look forward to sharing with the court the very positive impact the App Store has had on innovation, economies across the world and the customer experience over the last 12 years," as reported by The Verge.
- A 53-year-old longevity researcher says his 'biological age' is a decade younger thanks to 4 daily habits — but the science behind them is mixed
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 leaks ahead of launch – specs, expected launch date and more
- New CEO of TCS Krithivasan gets a thumbs up from analysts who are betting on his experience & leadership skills
- US condemns attack on Indian Consulate in San Francisco; pledges to defend safety, security
- Paul Grant who played Ewok on Star Wars passes away at 56
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open in the green amid positive global cues: Kotak Mahindra Bank, Adani Enterprises, Reliance Industries among stocks to watch
- Always open for negotiation: Putin tells Xi Jinping on Ukraine peace plan
- Time to accumulate bonds and lock-in attractive yields with peak rates around the horizon