Apple is looking to expand production outside of China amid Beijing's zero-Covid policies, report says
Appleis looking to expand its production capabilities outside of China, WSJ reported Saturday.
- The tech giant cited Beijing's strict COVID-19 policies as one influencing factor, sources told the outlet.
Apple is looking to expand its production capabilities outside of China, The Wall Street Journal reported Saturday. The tech giant cited Beijing's zero-Covid policy as one reason behind the reported push, sources close to the matter told the outlet.
Analysts estimate that approximately 90% of Apple products are made by contract manufacturers in China, leaving the tech giant's success vulnerable to the whims of the Chinese Communist Party.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Apple suppliers such as
Now, Apple is telling suppliers that it wants to expand production in
On an earnings call in late April, Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company experienced two supply restraints last quarter that impacted Apple's ability to meet consumer demand: pandemic-related disruptions and an industrywide shortage of silicon. Apple CFO Luca Maestri estimated
"We are excited to be welcoming employees back to the offices in the US and Europe. At the same time, we are monitoring COVID-related disruptions in China," Cook told analysts. "Our thoughts are with all those in the path of the virus, and we remain as committed as ever to doing our part to help protect people and their communities."
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- The CEO of software giant Intuit, which has avoided mass layoffs, says tech firms axed jobs because they misread the pandemic
- Elon Musk told Chinese Tesla workers in a late night speech that their hard work 'warms my heart' — 6 weeks after some complained about bonus cuts
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala