Apple reportedly bought a video AI startup for $50 million as it tries to improve Siri and other apps
Applepurchased artificial intelligencestartup Vilynx earlier this year for approximately $50 million, Bloomberg reported Tuesday.
- Barcelona-based Vilynx built
AItools that analyze videos with the goal of "understanding" what's in them and categorizing that information, which Apple could use to improve Siri and other apps.
- Bloomberg also reported that around 50 of Vilynx's engineers and data scientists will stay on at Apple, which will use the startup's Barcelona office as a key AI research hub in Europe.
- Apple doesn't disclose the purpose of its acquisitions, but the company has recently bought several AI
startups, signaling its intent to expand its footprint in the space.
Apple added to its rapidly growing artificial intelligence portfolio earlier this year by acquiring Spain-based AI video startup Vilynx for approximately $50 million, Bloomberg reported Tuesday.
Vilynx, headquartered in Barcelona, built software that leverages computer vision to analyze a video's visual, text, and audio content with the goal of "understanding" what's in the video, which helps it categorize and tag metadata, generate automated video previews, and recommend related content, according to an earlier version of its website.
Apple told Bloomberg that it "buys smaller technology companies from time to time and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans," but the company could potentially use Vilynx's technology to help improve a variety of apps.
Siri, search, Photos, and other apps that rely on Apple being able to accurately organize and surface information are possible candidates, as are Apple TV, Music, News, and other apps that use recommendation engines to present users with related content.
CEO Tim Cook has repeatedly talked up the potential of augmented reality as well, which could also make use of AI-based tools like Vilynx.
The purchase will also deepen Apple's AI expertise, with around 50 engineers and data scientists joining from Vilynx, and the startup's Barcelona office set to become one of Apple's key AI research hub in Europe, according to Bloomberg.
Apple has made significant inroads in the AI space over the past few months, acquiring UK-based Spectral Edge last December, Seattle-based Xnor.ai for $200 million in January, and Voysis and Inductiv in April and May to help it improve Siri. Apple has a habit of quietly purchasing smaller companies. In 2018, CEO Tim Cook said in interview that the company had bought 20 companies over a six-month span, while only six were public knowledge.
- Twitter, Tiger Global, Tencent and others have pumped in over $900 million into India’s vernacular social media platforms in a year
- ICC T20 World Cup 2021: India to bat first as Pakistan wins toss and elects to field
- Biden hosting budget talks in Delaware with Schumer, Manchin
- Aryan Khan case: Witness claims NCB allegedly demanded bribe from Shah Rukh Khan to release his son
- Rishi Sunak on spending spree on skills, healthcare in UK Budget