Biggest data leaks of 2019 that hit Indians
Business Insider India
Normally, access to the internet is considered a boon. But it’s not without its costs. Data is becoming more valuable by the day and for someone looking to make money in nefarious ways. Hacking is the new trend in town.
Information theft is the most expensive and fastest-rising consequence of cybercrime. Personal and sensitive data of millions of people is compromised and in exchange for a quick buck.
Cybercriminals are constantly adapting and finding new ways to compromise online security, quicker than security firms can build solutions to defend against them.
But not every data breach is a result of hackers. More often than not, ‘loopholes’ and unprotected servers give bad actors access without even having to break-in. And, it’s only becoming more common.
Here are some of the biggest data breaches of 2019 that affected users in India:
SBI leaves its server without any password protection
Biggest single card database sale on the darknet
Hackers attack Indian healthcare website, steal records of 6.8 million users
Facebook stores passwords of 600 million users in plain text
Personal information of 100 million JustDial users on unprotected servers
Dating apps reveal location information threatening individual safety
Facebook and Twitter users personal data leaked through malicious apps
Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KKNPP) and ISRO hacked
OnePlus data breach affects 3,000 users
Airtel’s security flaw only took 15 minutes to find
Popular on BI
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders