Bill Gates speaks about 'messing up' in his marriage to Melinda during an emotional Q&A at Sun Valley's billionaire summer camp, report says
Bill Gatesspoke about his divorce at the Sun Valley conference, the New York Post reported.
- "He basically referred to the fact that [the divorce] was his fault," one attendee told the Post.
- "He did seem a bit emotional about it," they said. A second person said it was "very moving."
In an "off the record" Q&A session, CNBC host Becky Quick asked the Microsoft founder about his divorce from French Gates, which the couple announced in May, one attendee said.
"He fessed up to messing up," the attendee said. "He basically referred to the fact that [the divorce] was his fault."
"He did seem a bit emotional about it," the attendee said. "He might have been on the verge of tears."
A second attendee told the Post that the private Q&A session was "very moving."
Gates didn't mention the word "affair" during the discussion, the first attendee said. The Wall Street Journal reported that Microsoft had investigated Gates over 2019 claims that he engaged in a sexual relationship with a staffer over a number of years.
Microsoft and the Gates Foundation directed the Post's requests for comment to Gates Ventures, which declined to comment.
A Gates representative did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
Gates regularly attends the conference, hosted by private investment bank Allen & Co., but his appearance last week was the first time he's been to an event in person following the announcement of his divorce.
Microsoft insiders told Insider in June that Gates was an office bully who flirted with other women.
- BCCI extends contracts of Rahul Dravid and his support staff
- Adani Power undertakes green ammonia combustion pilot project at Mundra plant
- Gautam Adani re-enters the top 20 richest club after stock rally
- Good morning Mr Robot: Seoul school to get new-age English tutors
- Vikrant Massey's 12th Fail crosses ₹50 crore-mark at box office