Bill Gates speaks about 'messing up' in his marriage to Melinda during an emotional Q&A at Sun Valley's billionaire summer camp, report says
Bill Gatesspoke about his divorce at the Sun Valley conference, the New York Post reported.
- "He basically referred to the fact that [the divorce] was his fault," one attendee told the Post.
- "He did seem a bit emotional about it," they said. A second person said it was "very moving."
View all Offers
Longies Men's Printed Boxers (Pack of 2)₹ 399₹ 998Buy On
- 60% OFF
Wacoal Womens Lace Non Padded Non Wired Full Coverage Bra (Black_40B)₹ 638₹ 1595Buy On
- 61% OFF
Arrow Men's Slim Shirt (AFZSH0152_Burgundy 44)₹ 910₹ 2599Buy On
- 68% OFF
Qube By Fort Collins Men's Parka Coat (12570Q_Dark Grey_Large)₹ 899₹ 2725Buy On
- 65% OFF
Qube By Fort Collins Women's Cotton Sweatshirt (92017 AZ_Red_Large)₹ 1299₹ 1299Buy On
In an "off the record" Q&A session, CNBC host Becky Quick asked the Microsoft founder about his divorce from French Gates, which the couple announced in May, one attendee said.
"He fessed up to messing up," the attendee said. "He basically referred to the fact that [the divorce] was his fault."
"He did seem a bit emotional about it," the attendee said. "He might have been on the verge of tears."
A second attendee told the Post that the private Q&A session was "very moving."
Gates didn't mention the word "affair" during the discussion, the first attendee said. The Wall Street Journal reported that Microsoft had investigated Gates over 2019 claims that he engaged in a sexual relationship with a staffer over a number of years.
Microsoft and the Gates Foundation directed the Post's requests for comment to Gates Ventures, which declined to comment.
A Gates representative did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
Gates regularly attends the conference, hosted by private investment bank Allen & Co., but his appearance last week was the first time he's been to an event in person following the announcement of his divorce.
Microsoft insiders told Insider in June that Gates was an office bully who flirted with other women.
- Bajaj Finance, Tech Mahindra, Tata Power and other top stocks on January 18
- Shrinking car and two-wheeler sales is now hurting India’s biggest private bank
- The best pay masters in the gig economy aren’t good enough
- Amazon Great Republic Sale: Top deals on recliners, sofas and more home furnishing items
- Best fashion and beauty deals during Amazon sale